1999 Polaris SLTX with bad oil pump????Need Help.

Ok here we go........Last summer the #1 piston went out(by that I mean compression check was zero) so I got a new piston with new rings.the jug was fine problem fixed ran the jet ski the whole summer till sept...checked the psi on all off the pistons piston 1 was at 155 psi and the other original 2 were at 125 to 128 psi........put the jetski away and winterized it(drained all fluids yada yada yada)........fast forward to yesterday,so I decided I was gonna take it out and get it ready for the comming summer so I took it to the lake after filling all the fluids up.befor I even started it I gave each carb a shot of oil and checked the compression on all three cylinders and again all 3 read the same psi as before...piston 1 read 155 the other 2 were at 125 to 128...jet ski started right up....took it slow(30 to 40 mph) for about 30 minutes after that I rode it normal going up to 60mph back down to 25mpg...5 hours into it the jetski slowed down to 25mph and would not go over...so I thought to myself "WTF not again"........got it to shore and checked the compression on all 3 cylinders...piston 1 read 75 psi, piston 2 read 50 psi and piston 3 read 45 psi.....now what I wanna know is....Did the oil pump go out???I heard many stories where the oil pump goes out and fry's the rings because there is no lubrication........so early this morning I tore the top half of the engine down and rings are worn but all 3 jugs are fine and pistons look great......Im gonna put it back together this afternoon with new rings but how do you check to see if the oil pump went out???or is there even a way to check it???I got a buddy that mentioned to me to just run premix in the gas tank and forget the oil pump....anyhelp will be appreciated....thanx in advance....

Banned User
    +1
    Is there oil in the lines? Did you drain the tank and not bleed the oil system? Check to make sure the check valves that the oil lines are connected to on the carbs are not stuck. These oil pumps rarely fail. Its usually an issue with the lines that causes oiling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Is there oil in the lines? Did you drain the tank and not bleed the oil system? Check to make sure the check valves that the oil lines are connected to on the carbs are not stuck. These oil pumps rarely fail. Its usually an issue with the lines that causes oiling issues.
    yes there is oil in the lines I have clear oil lines and clear fuel lines...How do you check to see if the oil pump is still working????..how do you check to see if the check valves on the carb are stuck???what are the chances of all 3 check valves getting stuck at once if this is the problem???should I have the carb rebuilt again?(it was rebuilt in march 2011 by azjetski in Phoenix,Az) I know its alot of questions but I just wanna make sure Im spending my hard earned cash on the problem.....thanx in advance..

Banned User
    +1
    WHen the engine is running, pull one of the lines off the carb and see if oil is moving. You can put about 3 PSI on the check valve and see if it opens up. Usually if its damages from lack of oil the cylinder walls are going to be all messed up too.

+1
    the easiest way i found is to premix your first tank and fill your oil tank all the way to the top this way you can easily tell if it's goin down

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    WHen the engine is running, pull one of the lines off the carb and see if oil is moving. You can put about 3 PSI on the check valve and see if it opens up. Usually if its damages from lack of oil the cylinder walls are going to be all messed up too.
    as soon as I get it back together tonight Ill run it to see if oil is moving.....how do you know,after putting 3 psi thru the C.V., if the check valve is unstuck??(If this is even the problem)......I called azjetski a few minutes ago and they said the carb could of got gummed up and fuel/oil restriction could of caused piston 1 to go out and the other 2 followed suit(what ever that means) but they explained piston 1 drives the diaphrams in the carbs and if the psi is low it will starve the rest of the pistons and wear out the rings....so Im gonna get it back together and check the carb/oil check valve and oil pump...

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    the easiest way i found is to premix your first tank and fill your oil tank all the way to the top this way you can easily tell if it's goin down
    this is what Im gonna try after I get everything back together tonight........and hopefully get it on the lake by mid-day tomorrow........Is it ok to run premix and oil from the oil tank????never heard of anyone running both....could to much oil damage anything???

+1
    it's fine just run a 40 to 1 mix in the tank , i usaully just do it for my first 5 gallons and then if the oil in the tank goes down you should be good to go if not then it's time for an oil pump or just convert it to premix

Thread Information