LIVING THE DREAM IN KEY WEST FLORIDA pcorpion's Avatar

after market handlebar grips

Today i just got my R&D handle bar grips and i think they suck.it feels like i spent 40 bucks for some bullshit machined end caps to go with some cheap rubber grips. i will be sending the aftermarket handlebar grips back to r&d for a refund.

the reason why i started this post is because now i am stuck with the stock yamaha grips without a way to use the stock end caps.other than not being able to use the stock end caps, the stock grips would be fine.i currently have the renthal 971-08 bend handle bars installed and they sweet .but i would like to replace the stock grips with some nicer aftermarket grips.

if anyone has any other sugestions on a different kind of grips please let me know.please keep in mind that they need to be compatiable with the stock trim handle and they have to look really good .i dont care about the price i just want to get the best looking grips that will go with my new renthal handlebars and have end caps.

thanks , pedro

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pcorpion View Post
    Today i just got my R&D handle bar grips and i think they suck.it feels like i spent 40 bucks for some bullshit machined end caps to go with some cheap rubber grips. i will be sending the aftermarket handlebar grips back to r&d for a refund.

the reason why i started this post is because now i am stuck with the stock yamaha grips without a way to use the stock end caps.other than not being able to use the stock end caps, the stock grips would be fine.i currently have the renthal 971-08 bend handle bars installed and they sweet .but i would like to replace the stock grips with some nicer aftermarket grips.

if anyone has any other sugestions on a different kind of grips please let me know.please keep in mind that they need to be compatiable with the stock trim handle and they have to look really good .i dont care about the price i just want to get the best looking grips that will go with my new renthal handlebars and have end caps.

thanks , pedro
    i got in my gpr ODI grips and they look good and is only $20 and they sell it on riva motorsport dealers

LIVING THE DREAM IN KEY WEST FLORIDA pcorpion's Avatar
    yea thanks after searching the forum i found the odi grips they look pretty cool i would like to buy them but one thing i need to know is will they fit over the stock vts trim handle. thanks for the info dude

+1
    LOL, Pedro I was in the same position before. I ordered the Riva grips as I have their bars and it utilizes the stock trim and wouldn't you know, the grips they sell don't look or fit very well. I was hoping to have one that was oversized to slide over the stock trim easily. Maybe with something that would lubricate the handle and some compressed air I could have gotten it on but I couldn't be bothered to try as I didn't like the way they felt or looked on the bars so I scrapped them. They are still floating around my garage somewhere. I ended up using the stock grips and endcaps as I didn't find anything else that I wanted to try. If you find some sweet grips, be sure to share!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pcorpion View Post
    yea thanks after searching the forum i found the odi grips they look pretty cool i would like to buy them but one thing i need to know is will they fit over the stock vts trim handle. thanks for the info dude
    ODI's won't fit over the trim. There are ways to adapt them though. There are several old threads with how-to's on notching the trim to accept the ODI's but I don't think it was a real durable setup. Others have done it by cutting the handlebar piece off the trim assembly so the grip is stationary & only the inside part of the VTS turns. I use OURY grips on my GPR. They are real soft & comfy & are much grippier when wet compared to the hard stock grips. All you have to do is cut down the one for the trim side & it will stretch enough to slide onto the trim handle. They can usually be found in bicycle stores if you don't want to wait for a mail order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6801.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	264080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6804.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	395.4 KB 
ID:	264081  

+1
    good luck finding some nice grips that fit the oem trim handle.. (edit) marks are nice almost forgot about the OURYS
    WE the gpr guys went down this road a few years ago.

IMO the ODI grips look and feel the best and you can install them on the oem trim handle and work like oem but i tell you its kinda a mission. heres a lil how to.
    you have to cut off the oem grip from the trim handle and sand that area smooth, the probelm is that the ODI grip ID is too small and wont fit the trim handle, so theres a round stone that attaches to the drill or dremel and you hone out the ODI grip, this will make the ODI grip's ID slightly larger and will soften the plastic tube inside the grip just enough to stretch and quickly slide it onto the oem trim handle. once you hone it you have to quickly slide the grip onto the handle and when it cools down it will shrink a bit and become part of the trim handle. now the million dollar question is, what size was that stone i used?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    good luck finding some nice grips that fit the oem trim handle.. (edit) marks are nice almost forgot about the OURYS
    WE the gpr guys went down this road a few years ago.

IMO the ODI grips look and feel the best and you can install them on the oem trim handle and work like oem but i tell you its kinda a mission. heres a lil how to.
    you have to cut off the oem grip from the trim handle and sand that area smooth, the probelm is that the ODI grip ID is too small and wont fit the trim handle, so theres a round stone that attaches to the drill or dremel and you hone out the ODI grip, this will make the ODI grip's ID slightly larger and will soften the plastic tube inside the grip just enough to stretch and quickly slide it onto the oem trim handle. once you hone it you have to quickly slide the grip onto the handle and when it cools down it will shrink a bit and become part of the trim handle. now the million dollar question is, what size was that stone i used?
    I remember those days lol. Another trick I did was to use a spray adhesive and use compressed air to force from one side and get the grip to expand and slide it over the trim stem and when the air was cut off, the grip contracted and it was on. Spray the adhesive into the grip instead of on the stem so that as you slide it up the stem, it doesn't push the adhesive into the trim mechanism. I also made sure there was a small hole in the end of the grip to push any excess adhesive out as it slid up the stem and contracted. Make sure you put a rag under the bar because some of the adhesive is nasty stuff and could damage the gel coat.

+1
    Question...if you use MX grips, wouldn't one side be larger ID for the bike throttle? So that might be used on the trim side? Anyone try that? I'm sure someone has. LOL Just curious, as I just put my new Renthal 7/8" bars on with Blowsion finger throttle...and I bought ODI Rogue Lock-on grips...but they sold me ATV/BMX style - and both are same size. I love the grips, but don't want to buy another set if my idea won't work. The MX V2 style should have one side larger inside than the other though if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone??? Thanks!

9. +1 by:

+1
    I'm using the odi rogue grips with the stock trim I just cut the stock trim assembly tube that the grip would fit over and and I am basically using just the the section on the trim that is smooth! All I am using to adjust the trim is with my index finger and thumb! Will get a picture up ASAP, using my phone right this second!

Thread Information