Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jet Ski Stereo install! Questions...

I have a 1998 SLTX I'm getting ready to install a stereo system in. I'm going to run an Alpine marine stereo with the remote display, (4) 6.5" Cadence speakers, and a 400W amp. I'm concerned I'm not going to have enough battery power for everything.

Would 2 AGM batteries be enough to run everything?
    What rating of battery should I buy?

Could I run a setup with a battery switch, where one battery is starting, the other is for stereo only, and still have both charge off the jet ski while riding?

Thanks!

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    The stator is only capable of 60 watts. That's to run the electronics and charge the battery. You do not have the power to run that setup. You may be able to run the stereo and speakers, would not run an amp.

Where do you plan to install 2 AGM batteries and 4 speakers, a deck and an amp? Let alone keep them dry enough. If that is your plan...I would recommend a Sony headunit and their marine controller. Best control in my opinion. (Use to sell and install many brands, both included).

Stock stator could theoretically be rewound up to 67.5W. If you are running the updated stator, it can be theoretically rewound to 82.5W. Overwinding may be able to approach 100W.

You could have one battery for stereo and one for starting. Battery isolator wired properly will connect the radio battery to the charging system only when the ski is running. My concern is the load, especially if you run down the 2nd battery.

Overall, radios are for boats, not jet skis. If you want to pull off this setup, do a deck and 2 speakers or a small amp and an Ipod with no deck.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    The stator is only capable of 60 watts. That's to run the electronics and charge the battery. You do not have the power to run that setup. You may be able to run the stereo and speakers, would not run an amp.

Where do you plan to install 2 AGM batteries and 4 speakers, a deck and an amp? Let alone keep them dry enough. If that is your plan...I would recommend a Sony headunit and their marine controller. Best control in my opinion. (Use to sell and install many brands, both included).

Stock stator could theoretically be rewound up to 67.5W. If you are running the updated stator, it can be theoretically rewound to 82.5W. Overwinding may be able to approach 100W.

You could have one battery for stereo and one for starting. Battery isolator wired properly will connect the radio battery to the charging system only when the ski is running. My concern is the load, especially if you run down the 2nd battery.

Overall, radios are for boats, not jet skis. If you want to pull off this setup, do a deck and 2 speakers or a small amp and an Ipod with no deck.

Hope this helps.

That definately helps a ton, thanks.

So would running a two battery setup put too much strain on the charging system? For instance, if I were to sit at a beach with the tunes going on the second battery only, and then switch back to both batteries for charging once I take off again to cruise.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer26 View Post
    That definately helps a ton, thanks.

So would running a two battery setup put too much strain on the charging system? For instance, if I were to sit at a beach with the tunes going on the second battery only, and then switch back to both batteries for charging once I take off again to cruise.
    This article seems to have quite a bit of info, even though it is referring to a Car / RV type setup.... http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm

Banned User
    +1
    You could completely isolate a second battery and just charge it every time before you go out.

I agree with the others, A battery isolator will do this automatically. It is very common in south Florida to see jet skis with stereos. If it were just a stereo only with 2 speakers and no amp I don't think you would even need 2 batteries, but if you are going to use it at the beach, then yes go with two and hope that your stator is already updated cause you will be working it hard IMHO. Here is a link

http://www.google.com/products/catal...589&os=reviews

+1
    I'm installing a stereo in my ski. 2 Dayton Audio sound exciters( 20 dollars). 1 12v mini amp (20 dollars including shipping). 1 cheap MP3 player/Radio ( 35 dollars). So 75 bucks... And small enough to run off the batt 2a amp. Will also fit almost anywhere.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Well, in a month's time, I've decided to go a different route. Sold all of the other stereo components, and bought a Jensen JMS2212 headunit with (4) Infinity marine speakers.

How do I determine which AGM battery would be enough to run the stereo system all day on a full charge? (The battery won't be connected to the charging system). How does amp hours play a role the equation?

The headunit specs lists that it draws 15 amps max, and then whatever the speakers draw.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Most stereos draw a bit under two amps on average with 4 spkrs. this obviously depends on volume, stereo and speaker design, but will give you a number. So at 24 AH battery would last about 12 hrs (in theory). I would guess much less.

I know it's been a while, but I've been crazy busy the past couple months.

I decided on one of the Optima 51 Yellow Top batteries as my stereo battery. It is listed as a 38 amp hour battery, and I'm not sure if that will be enough to run the system all day by itself. I am thinking of wiring it to a battery isolator, but I have a couple questions.

Will the battery isolator decrease the load on the stator at all vs. wiring it to a selector switch like in boats?

From what I understand, a battery isolator not only isolates the batteries from discharging each other, but they also sense if the battery is fully charged. So in my case, I would fire up the ski off the starting battery, the isolator would recharge until completely recharged, and then it would start charging my stereo battery if it was being drained. Is this correct?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information