Prime Oil Pump??

Ok, I changed all the oil lines and check valves and replaced the oil in the tank on my 98 1200XL. I filled up the oil tank and took the spark plugs out and the turned over the engine while opening up the oil pump all the way and no oil is pumping through the lines. I opened the bleed screw and a little oil comes out but I cannot get oil to pump through the lines. Any suggestions? Do I need to do something special? Thanks

+1
    I've primed my 2 different ways. One way is to remove the pump from the engine and spin it with a drill to get it pumping. The other way was to premix some 50:1 gas/oil, and run the engine off of that. That way you can run the engine (and its being lubed) while the oil pump is priming.
    I also found out the oil pump cable has to be installed and properly adjusted to get oil flow.

Yeah I tried to chuck it on my drill but didn't fit and kept slipping off when I just chucked onto the slot. I'll try again. I took the pump apart and it seemed, I cleaned it all with alcohol to remove all the old oil. I found a pump on ebay for $15 bucks so I bought it just in case. I turned over the engine with the plugs out for a bit and I didn't see any signs of it working but I'll keep at it.

+1
    I used a short piece of 1/4" fuel hose and stretched it over the pump shaft. I put a screwdriver bit in the cordless drill, and the inserted the bit into the other end of the hose. Then I spun the drill counter clockwise and watched the new oil lines fill up. It worked pretty well. I thought about relying on the 50:1 pre-mix I had in the first tank for break-in since I had just rebuilt the top end, but the reason I had to rebuild in the first place was the oil line coming off and I didn't want to take any chance at having too little oil.
    Last edited by mfabel; 06-03-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Helps too if I was going the right direction I guess too... I was turning clockwise with my drill but still with on engine not working. I'll take it off and try what you suggest with the tubing and turn it the right direction Thanks

+1
    New PWC owner, first post!!
    I just bought a 2001 Yamaha SUV. What a freakin riot this thing is. You really don't have an idea how big it is until you see it in person. Well, to get back to this post, I just changed the oil lines on this and used the procedure with the drill.
    I was only using a 800 RPM drill so it seemed to take about 15 mins for it to make it to the manifold. I have a video of what it looks like when it finally makes it to the throat of the carb.
    About halfway through the video you can see it starts to pulse quite regular.
    The audio is clipping from the video convertor, the drill was on steady.

Question: I am wondering does this pump pulse when it pumps? It is not a steady flow of oil, this is @ WOT but only 800 RPM drill.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Tony

+1
    I don't remember mine pulsing. It kinda looks like air bubbles working there way out, but its hard to tell.
    Its a variable pump, maybe if you open up the throttle a bit, it'll flow faster/more consistant

+1
    I had it wide open throttle the whole time. Maybe I will get my electric drill that will run @ 1800 RPM.

+1
    I kinda remember when I did mine, there was a sweet spot/range where it flowed well. And I'm talking about hold the throttle on the pump without the cable attached, it only really worked in a certain range in the middle of the pump's throttle lever rotation

+1
    Well, I found another youtube video and validated it with a PWC mechanic, It does pulse when it is pumping correctly. So I am good to go!!

Thread Information