Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

External fuel pump

Has any one ever tried to put an external electric fuel pump on there ski? I have a 2002 Virage TXi with no fuel pressure. Rather than pulling the gas tank, I was thinking of putting this inline fuel pump in. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3138/ I would have to remove the voltage lines from the existing fuel pump and reroute them to this one. Will this work?

Banned User
    +1
    You have no fuel pressure?????? Is the pump running? If the pump runs, but you have low fuel pressure, most like the regulator has fallen off inside the tank. You could install an external regulator from a Kawasaki. Do a search, there is a thread on how to do that, as well as on repairing/replacing the fuel pump

I have done the fuel regulator test. No pressure while cranking nore with the return line pinched down. Shorted the brown wire to the fuel pump and no pressure and I don't hear the pump running.

+1
    Did you test for voltage going to the pump?

Yes. Pump is getting battery (12ish) voltage once the motor starts to crank.

Check out this thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1615833 You can actually repair the pump if that is the way you want to go. Otherwise I have an extra pump in the garage that will fit your TXI. Cheers.

The whole pulling the gas tank and pump is what I was trying to avoid. No one has tried an external fuel pump?

+1
    I've never tried an external pump, but by looking at the specs. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    You are going to have to remove the original fuel pump and replace it with a hose that goes to the bottom of the tank because the old pump restricts the fuel flow.
    Your pressure may be a little high. When I rebuilt mine using the Airtex pump the specs. for it were 46 psi max at 42 gph. which is a little higher than the original Polaris.
    With the Airtex pump my pressure was approx. 24 psi.
    Also you don't have to remove the tank to get the pump out. Just remove the computer, the tank hold down straps, and the fuel tank stop then you can slide the tank forward and remove the pump

I didnt even remove the computer on mine, just took the straps loose, the stop out and then pulled the tank forward.

Thanks guys. Looks like I am going to have to pull the pump to fix this. What is really weird is that it started out as a cold start. It would take 10 mins to warm up before being able to ride it without it dying. It has progressively gotten worse. Now it take and hour. It doesn't make sense, if the pump is not working, then why does it run at all when it is warm. Sounds more like the EMM to me, but the pump did not turn on when I shorted it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information