GP1300R Feedback

Hi all,

First let me say this is an outstanding forum. I am in the process of finishing up a motor install on a 2000 1200xlt which couldn't have been done nearly as well or as efficiently without the info I've pulled from here.
    The xlt was a barn find and nearby I found a 2003 GP1300B (Most call it the gp1300r) that will also require a motor swap/rebuild. I figure two is much more fun than one.

Would some of you mind sending a little overall feedback on the 1300 if you have one or have worked on them, I would love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks.

Interested in this as well

+1
    The Good....
    -The GPR hull is one of the best PWC hulls ever produced, IMO, in terms of speed capability when modded, overall handling and tuneability (adjusting ride plate angles, sponsons, trim tabs....) There is good reason the hard core speed guys and drag racers drop newer 4 stroke engines into this hull.
    -If you are interested in modifying the engine there are plenty of options...lots of guys on here do engine work on the 1200/1300 motors.
    -If you keep it stock you are still getting a fast ski that will be reliable if you take the right precautions (explained below)...a few mods like a ride plate and intake grate will get you to 65 mph+

The Bad (not terrible but inherent issues common with the GPR series)
    -Get rid of the stock intake grate ASAP. Get an aftermarket one. The stock grate causes terrible cavitation out of the hole and in rough water you won't get good hookup. There are many choices....I use an R&D Aquavein two bar grate
    -It would be wise to remove the catalytic converter. They tend to get clogged up over time with oil from the exhaust and that can cause engine issues. The D plate kit is relatively cheap and installs in place of the cat....
    -Get Wave Eater clips and install them on the power valves. Early GP 1200/1300 had problems with the pins that hold the PVs in place....the pins would slide out and fall into the cylinder, or worse the entire PV would fall in causing major damage. The clips.keep.those pins in place and prevent the PVs from dropping into the cylinder. This problem was to my knowledge addressed in later models but I cant remember if they had in the 2003 models.
    -The plastic steering nozzle gets brittle over time and that is bad news. Buy an aluminum nozzle, most go with the HO nozzle bc it fits perfectly and is relatively inexpensive...
    -It is your choice, but I recommend converting your ski to pre mix. Oil pumps can go out over time, especially on a ski nearly 10 yrs old. Since you will ready be rebuilding the engine it would be an easy project.

These are just some of my thoughts from experience and reading the forum...read the stickys at the top. They contain a lot of info, most of which is aimed at GPR models. There are a lot of people on here with a lot more experince than me.

Overall the GP1300R is a blast to ride...reliable and fun. And if you want to go faster the sky is the limit...there are guys with 85 mph+ GPRs (with the 2 stroke engine)

CMGWW,

Excellent, thanks for your feedback, I'll apply most if not all of it to the rehab of the ski, after I peel some of the purple graphics from it! Thanks again for taking the time.

James

+1
    No problem man

Thread Information