+1

Mixing 2 stroke oil

I have a quick question, I got a broken Yamaha suv that I am currently fixing. The jet ski come with full tanks of gas and 2 stroke oil inside and I hate the waste it. However I have no idea what brand did the previous owner used. So my plan is that to run the engine with the current oil and when it is low, I will put in my own 2 stroke oil. My question is would there be a problem mixing the oil? I am not running premix on it. It still use the old oil pump. Thanks

+1
    put in your 2 stroke oil.. you'll be fine.... but don't go low to the buzzer...

+1
    How old is that gas and oil? If it were me, I'd drain both tanks and put in some fresh stuff. I'd hate to see your new engine blow up because the gas and oil were old.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    How old is that gas and oil? If it were me, I'd drain both tanks and put in some fresh stuff. I'd hate to see your new engine blow up because the gas and oil were old.
    You got me here...... I actually don't know how do is the oil......and gas. But it is a full tank.... What can I do with it? Take out gas for cars? Oil for what? I know gas does get old by does a two stroke oil gets old too?

+1
    do what you want but mixing 2 stroke oil, old or not is not going to hurt your ski...period...if you better about it then just siphon it out and start fresh..

As for gas that's a different story...might have not been treated with stablizer...anything over six months siphon and start fresh...

+1
    People say 2 stroke oil has a shelf life. In a sealed container it'll last quite a while but once it been opened and sitting around in a jetski's oil tank(for maybe a year or two), I'd start worrying about condensation or maybe additive separation or degradation. Take that with a grain of salt though, I've only been reading (and worrying) and have no personal experience with old 2 stroke oil causing problems.

+1
    If you do not know how long it has been in the tank or the make and type of oil I would drain it and start off with fresh oil and a new set of plugs. It is not worth trying to save you a couple of dollars that can cost you a engine.

+1
    Hi, I read online that bad gas can be eyeball. It say jut pour it into a clear glass and compare it with fresh one, the bad gas is darker in color. By the way, I have about 40 gal inside the jet skis....... That covert into some $$$$$$. Not trying to be cheap here but really need to save some money in this economi......

I've run old gas in boats plenty of times with no I'll effects but not in a ski. These are pretty high performance engines so if there is obviously something wrong with the gas don't use it. If its bad you will know. It will smell sour for one thing and it can also look cloudy. If the gas is real bad the engine simply won't burn it too. Just crank it up and see if it runs. If so take it easy on that tank. If not, well you have bigger problems. I've never heard of oil going bad but I reckon it's possible.

+1
    just and update. I took out the old gas and put it in my car and have amost finish using it.

Thread Information