Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

R&D Performance 1.9L Big Bore Engine Build

Hello Everyone! Over the winter I have been slowly working on piecing together a R&D Performance 1.9L Big Bore Kit for my 2009 Yamaha FZR. I was having some GIO issues since I bought it and it continued to get worse as time went on. In an effort to resolve this problem and to get some more performance out of the engine platform, I decided to get the 1.9L Big Bore Kit from R&D. As I finish the prep work, install, setup and test this engine, I will document what goes into building one of these with written information and I will also share photos of it as it goes together for anyone that is interested in seeing what goes into it.

I didn't start this thread back in November when it came apart as I wanted to spare you guys the boring stuff of removal, breakdown and then the waiting game. I have also done several things within this build that is different from alot of other builds such as different coating on various parts including powder, ceramic and graphite. I did a little searching and I didn't see any build threads of this particular kit so I started one myself to show people what it is and what goes into my projects. Most of the engines I have built over the years for snowmobiles and personal watercraft have always gotten a little extra treatment and I try to make the look of the project match the performance of the final product.

Feel free to discuss or ask questions as the thread goes on. Thank You and enjoy!

+1
    Here are a few shots of the block, head and pistons as they have recently been coated. The pistons have a ceramic coating on the crown with a graphite type coating on the skirts. The ceramic coating on the crown helps to reduce heat saturation and assists with expansion control. This helps to slow the pistons expansion rate and reduces the risk of scoring and cold seizures when warming the engine or if the engine is exposed to high pressures and heat before the engine comes to proper operating temperatures.

The Block has had all the machine work completed and the 1.9L sleeves installed, honed to size and coated with a ceramic based engine paint to give it a nicer look than oxidized and dirty aluminum.

The head has had the R&D 5 angle valve grind, modified guide service, new seals, R&D dual valve springs and Titanium Retainers. This will we paired with RC2 cams at a later date. The head also has been coated with the same ceramic based engine paint as the block.

The SC has the R&D Water Cooled Housing with a R&D C3-11 wheel and R&D hardened shaft. The housing has also been coated to match the block and head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R&D 1.9L Big Bore Block.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	264137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R&D 1.9L Big Bore Coated Pistons.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	264138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R&D 1.9L Big Bore Head.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	264139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R&D 1.9L Big Bore 5 Angle Valve Grind.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	264140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R&D SC Housing 1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	264141  

+1
    Parts look great! I look forward to following your progress.
    AS you already know I am doing the same build up with the RD 1.9 kit.
    No crank work was done in the motor prep?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    Parts look great! I look forward to following your progress.
    AS you already know I am doing the same build up with the RD 1.9 kit.
    No crank work was done in the motor prep?
    Not much in the way of crank prep needed. I was told that with this particular kit that crank balancing was not needed. I was also informed me that they have seen more trouble out of rebalanced cranks than if they just left it alone from factory. I considered having it micro polished to get recommended bearing clearances but after doing a plastigage check, I found a bearing size that puts it right on spec to R&D's recommendations.

Looking forward to seeing how your build goes and what you get for results and we can also compare notes along the way.

+1
    looking good I am looking forward to seeing how the build goes keep us posted

+1
    I guess its time to repaint my motor another color ....

+1
    I would never feel comfortable putting different rods and pistons into a motor, spinning it 9k, and NOT having it balanced.

But I even balance my lawn mower engines, so maybe I'm just anal

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    looking good I am looking forward to seeing how the build goes keep us posted
    Will do

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Struck View Post
    I would never feel comfortable putting different rods and pistons into a motor, spinning it 9k, and NOT having it balanced.

But I even balance my lawn mower engines, so maybe I'm just anal
    I certainly understand where you are coming from. To each their own. I don't see anything wrong with balancing something but I was warned not to and I have also built many engines in the past and have never rebalanced the entire rotating assembly before running it and those engines ran for years and thousands of miles without a problem. I was told that because the overall weights and rotational mass of the new assembly is so close to oem spec that rebalancing is not required or recommended.

+1
    you could alway concider asking someone that just built one, ask Jim hows his turned out, i'm pretty sure he has his balanced and its rocking !!!!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information