Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Towing with a small SUV

I just bought an 09 Lexus RX350, front will drive, not AWD. It has the tow prep package which means I can add a hitch and tow up to 3500 lbs. I will probably be towing with my truck more than this car but there will be instances for which the RX will be used.
    I feel the car will tow my trailer with little issue but was wondering what pulling the trailer out of the water on a ramp will be like.
    Any guys have experience with this please chime in.
    BTW, the trailer probably weights under 2500 lbs.

You shouldn't have a problem pulling out of the water with front wheel drive. I pull a 07 rxp out with a small front wheel drive car and never ever had a problem.

You will be good. I pull my ski with a 2010 Dodge Journey with a 3.5l 6 speed auto and she pulls up the ramp perfectly. On some ramps I would put it into autostick and put it into 2nd just so the wheels don't spin

+1
    depends how steep/slippery the ramp is.i watched a minivan at lake wallenpaupack do a immitation of a cat burying it's turds.never made it up the ramp with those 2 rxps.

Quote Originally Posted by jet ski o'clock View Post
    depends how steep/slippery the ramp is.i watched a minivan at lake wallenpaupack do a immitation of a cat burying it's turds.never made it up the ramp with those 2 rxps.
    lol. i have a full size bronco i tow with and i put it in 4x4 while on the ramp just to be safe. i have seen videos on youtube of trucks sliding down boat ramps and thats all it took for me to start putting it in 4 high.

I have been up some pretty steep ramps and I have never ever had a problem, but then again I am only pulling up one rxp.

I think if you went to pull 2 skis then you might have a issue once in a while. I am only going to pull one ski. If I get a truck later on then I will get another ski so the whole family can go out at once. I think my crossover could pull 2 skis out of where I launch at. My only issue is with FWD is that when you put more weight on the rear it lifts the front more so you don't have full weight on the front wheels.

I only have 235hp and 235tq and I can pull it out easy but my whole setup probably weighs in around 2000 or maybe a tad less and pulls pretty good.

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    We tow a double trailer with an '05 Chevy Malibu Maxx. No issues unless the ramp is really slimy. It's only happened once in the 5 years we've had the car. We're towing at the max rating and no problems.

Here's a video of the car pulling the skis up a ramp. It's a bit old as we've extended the tongue since then and added a trailer box so it's all a bit heavier now. Still no issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by M447 View Post
    We tow a double trailer with an '05 Chevy Malibu Maxx. No issues unless the ramp is really slimy. It's only happened once in the 5 years we've had the car. We're towing at the max rating and no problems.

Here's a video of the car pulling the skis up a ramp. It's a bit old as we've extended the tongue since then and added a trailer box so it's all a bit heavier now. Still no issues.

Wow.
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    I have the one RXPX, the bigger one, on a single trailer now and will see what that feels like this weekend.
    I may then move to the double with both Xs.

I tow with a 2wd 4 cyl ford ranger 5spd with only 140hp. Only pulling one ski but even on the slickest ramps have had no trouble even with drive wheels on the slime. Your lexus is rated to tow more than my truck...cant imagine it having any issues. My ranger is only rated at 2k.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information