Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb Another Possilble Oil Injection Failure Prevention Thread?

Okay guys so I've been bouncing back and forth between pulling the trigger on swapping my Wave Venture 700 to premix before its first season with me out. The only reason con I have to doing it is because it will make it hard to refuel at the marina without carrying a small jug with me onboard at all times. I would like to prevent any oil starvation and engine failures so I've dug a little deeper. Then I stumbled upon the thread for upgrading the oil lines and using metal clamps that require a special crimper. My concerns there are the cost for the clamps, lines, & tool and having to bleed the pump. My current lines seem to either be new, or in great condition and my ski only has 115 hours. So my thought.... Buy hose clamps such as these, http://www.pchemlabs.com/files/images/clamp1b.jpg, but obviously the right size. This would give me the ability to cut the crap zip ties and replace them with these without having to remove the lines. Am I crazy as to thinking this is the easiest solution? If not, why hasn't anyone thought of this yet?

+1
    You won't find a worm style clamp like that in a small enough size. You can get the crimp clamps pretty cheaply and crimp them with a side wire cutter or a end cutting nippers like this:

But then again why couldn't you get them in the smallest size, I've seen them pretty small, and tighten it down. Hard to explain in words but essentially those things will pretty much clamp down on themselves to the point where there is no opening. Hmm. I'll have to check the tool room at work to see how small we carry. I've seen some on small intake vacuum lines on cars and the lines weren't much bigger than these so a little smaller line shouldn't be a problem. It's not the crimp style that's making me not want to use them, I don't want to take off my lines and have to bleed them. This would be a solution to my problem, IF I can find clamps to work.

+1
    you can use mechanics tie wire on the hoses and just wrap around the hose and twist a couple times

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    you can use mechanics tie wire on the hoses and just wrap around the hose and twist a couple times
    Yea, but I wouldn't feel to comfortable knowing that half way job was protecting my engine. Wouldn't be too neat I don't think. I can be sort of a nit picker, but if you think it'll work I may give it a shot!

+1
    I really don't think that you could find a worm clamp that is small enough. I did the pinch clamps as they will make it as bullet proof as possible and don't have to worry when filling at marinas. I always make it a policy to fill the oil tank when I flush the ski at the end of the day. A full oil tank is good for over two full fuel tanks on the WV 700. You almost always see old WV's out on the water, so they are probably one of the most reliable skis ever!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IDEAL-Hose-Clamp-5X441

So these won't work? I have an account with Grainger so I looked there first. If the OD is 6.5-7mm that equals roughly 1/4". So these provide clamping power all the way down to 1/4" hoses. And that makes me smile SurfRider! I wasn't expecting my ski to be that easy on oil. Like I said in my OP thats the main reason why I want to keep the oil injection, so I never have to worry when I fill up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by e46_330i View Post
    Yea, but I wouldn't feel to comfortable knowing that half way job was protecting my engine. Wouldn't be too neat I don't think. I can be sort of a nit picker, but if you think it'll work I may give it a shot!
    Thats what we used to do before I got the oetikers and tool to crimp (I had to make a tool)

+1
    forget the worm gear clamps... too small to work

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    forgot the worm gear clamps... too small to work
    How so? I posted a link for a set that is made for that hose diameter size. You guys are the experts here, not me. I'm just not seeing how a hose clamp designed for that size hose wouldn't work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information