Thread: OEM vs. RIVA

OEM vs. RIVA

So I am about ready to replace the ceramic washers and do a full supercharger rebuild on a K6 RXT I just purchased as they are still the factory original. I was planning on purchasing the RIVA clutch washers and the McMaster spring washers as directed by others on this forum however, a friend of mine just offered me a complete OEM Bombardier rebuild kit with steel washers, bearings and a shaft for free as he no longer owns the Seadoo it was originally purchased for. My questions is, when you really boil it all down, what's the difference between the RIVA/McMaster kit or the OEM rebuild kit?

I guess what I really want to know is can anyone think of any "realistic" reason why I should not take and install the free OEM rebuild kit then get the RIVA/McMaster parts next time? I'd be saving quite allot of money with the free kit but at the same time, I don't want to end up with a kit that has rampant know failure issues either. Normally I would not worry so much about OEM parts however a month ago I would have also said Seadoo would never knowingly build and distribute a product over a span of 5 or 6 that would catastrophically fail either.

As always, thanks for the assistance.....

Cheers

+1
    OEM kit is about as good as it gets.

OEM spring washers are the weakest link but with a stock supercharger they hold up ok.

+1
    If I had to buy clutch washers, I'd go with Riva. But if you can get OEM metal washers for free, it's a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    OEM kit is about as good as it gets.

OEM spring washers are the weakest link but with a stock supercharger they hold up ok.
    So, if I am following you correctly, the replacement OEM spring washers despite being steel are still a weak point but the rest of the kit is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    If I had to buy clutch washers, I'd go with Riva. But if you can get OEM metal washers for free, it's a no brainer.
    My first reaction too was that it is a no brainer but I also do not want to install sub par parts prone to fail either. If I am going to do it I want to do it right the first time and negate all risk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    +1

The OEM spring washers are just fine for a stock supercharger.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    there you have it GSXRGRIZZ

Right from the mans fingers.

A free OEM kit is God telling you you made the right choice in skis! ( IMO )

yes but aren't the rebulid kits specific to model year? I know that you can install an 08+ kit in all the intercooled skis, but what if the free kit is for a 04-05 or a 06-07?

+1
    The kit is now the same for all 215 and 255 models and comes with metal washers

Thread Information