Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possibly picking up a 96 seadoo spx 657x

Hey guys I am thinking of getting this seadoo ski that needs the motor rebuilt. I can pick up the ski for $200 without a trailer. He said it has the 657x motor in it and it was running fine that day and then it all of the sudden stopped. He is not sure what happened but doesn't want to deal with it.

I already have a 96 wave venture and was thinking of getting this for a project and for people to use if they go with us to the lake so they wouldn't mess up my 3 seater.

So the big question is the ski worth putting money into and what kind of performance mods can be done to it. I wouldn't want it to go crazy fast since it would be one that would be used by other people and my wife.

Thanks for any input

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TrippleVenture View Post
    Hey guys I am thinking of getting this seadoo ski that needs the motor rebuilt. I can pick up the ski for $200 without a trailer. He said it has the 657x motor in it and it was running fine that day and then it all of the sudden stopped. He is not sure what happened but doesn't want to deal with it.

I already have a 96 wave venture and was thinking of getting this for a project and for people to use if they go with us to the lake so they wouldn't mess up my 3 seater.

So the big question is the ski worth putting money into and what kind of performance mods can be done to it. I wouldn't want it to go crazy fast since it would be one that would be used by other people and my wife.

Thanks for any input
    about all the real modding that you can do to that is swap out that 657x for a 720, mpem, and prop. you would be running about 52mph. id be happy with that.

That's not to bad. What would the stock speed be with the 657x motor? also going to the 720 would it be a direct swap? Also what is a mpem?

I am still learning skis big time so sorry if this stuff is posted somewhere else. I was looking for a good project and was thinking this might be a good one. Just have to sell my single ski trailer and get a double ski one when it is up and running

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TrippleVenture View Post
    That's not to bad. What would the stock speed be with the 657x motor? also going to the 720 would it be a direct swap? Also what is a mpem?

I am still learning skis big time so sorry if this stuff is posted somewhere else. I was looking for a good project and was thinking this might be a good one. Just have to sell my single ski trailer and get a double ski one when it is up and running
    yes, its a direct swap. same motor mounts and all. the mpem is the gray box that controls timing, spark, gauges, ect. stock speed for a 657x may be 45? you may need the exhaust but im not certian. of you can find a trashed ski with a 720 in it that would be your best bet. or just wait for a 95XP to show up in the classifieds. or for the most fun you want find a 96XP, 97-99SPX with a 787 in it. they run about 60.

That's cool. I might try to find the 720 for it if i get it. I am thinking of getting it for a project and use it for the wife and for other people to ride. 45mph would be quick enough for my wife to putt around with lol.

The guy says that it was running great the day they had it out and when they went to flush it the ski wouldn't start. I am almost thinking that he turned the water on first and hydro locked the cylinders. The ski is complete and the outside just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

+1
    sounds like your right...pull the plugs, crank it over, reinstall plugs. it should fire up. check the compression before you buy. clean it up, ride it sell it at the beginning of next season. buy something a bit better. good luck

I was thinking the same thing lol. I was thinking to get it running and sell it later and get another 3 seater ski.

How much do these skis usually go for in decent condition?

+1
    depends on what the bottom looks like, how it runs, and what the prop looks like...maybe $1000?

That's not to bad if I can get it for $150-$200 and don't need to put a lot into it. I just need to make or get a stand for it so I can work on it

just so you know, on the 94 XP and the 95 SPX has the 657X. The 96 SPX has a 720. the 657X is 80hp and the 720 is 85. My 95 SPX ran 52 mph with a average of 50.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information