Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

How To Change Your 300x SC Belt

Since I was changing out my belt today I figured I would do a small how to its pretty straight forward and simple. With some small differences and annoyance's over the 250/260. If I missed anything or you want to add anything your more then welcome. This only covers the major things to remove and do in order to do the job.

Step 1 Remove the catch can
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4038479...57629350486203

Step 2 Remove the top pipe on manifold By undoing the upper hose clamp from pipe to water box.
    remove the two allen bolts holding the supercharged plaque on. Remove the 4 12mm Bolts and the one 14 mm Bolt.
    unplug the connected sensor wiggle and lift pipe up and set out of the way.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4038479...7629350486203/

Step 3 Remove the Old Sc Belt. With a 19 mm socket and drive put it on purpose built spot on the tentioner pull the drive towards you to release the presure and you can now remove the belt from the sc.

Step 4 undo the hose clamp from the intercooler to throttle boddy no need to remove the hose or clamp.

Step 5 With a 14 mm socket Undo the 4 motor mount bolts. Note you will need to use a Ratchet wrench to undo the two rear bolts. use and exstension and swivle for the two front bolts.

Step 6 Remove the air box to super charger hose. this is where the fun begins. Since Kawi Switched to a hard rigid hose it makes it extremely dificult to remove this hose. there is two ways to accomplish this. You can do what I did and just make a small triangle cut at the end of the hose. This will allow enough flexibility to push the tube down thus allowing you to slide the motor forward this will not affect anything when you put it back together as there is more then enough slipped on to the airbox.
    The other method would be to remove the Supercharger its self then remove the tube.

Step 7 With the tube out of the way you can now slide the motor forward a few inches allowing enough room to slip the old belt off and the new one on. you can also optionally install a second belt or leave the old one as a back up belt. be careful not to slide the motor off the pads as its a paine to get back up on there if you do.

Once you have your belt slipped in place the installation is just the reverse. Hope this helps anyone wanting to do the jobs then self. Total time should take less then 2 hrs.

+1
    Thank you! Very nice post!

Anybody have pics of a diy belt holder?

Banned User
    +1
    Pgh300

I changed my belt only since I will be racing the han my belt still looked pretty good for 67 hrs. The belt will go 100+ hrs.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Did you use the belt tensioner tool/clamp thing or do you only need this if you're removing the assembly?

I think I'm up for a belt replacement soon.

The pipe between the supercharger and the air box looks to be a real pain in the ass.

Cheers, Mal

+1
    no tools mal just a socket on the dummy nut you dont need to remove the assembly, however if you do, fit the top bolt first then apply pressure on the dummy nut with your socket and ratchet then fit the other bolts btw i would try first without taking the collect pipe off just remove the dump pipe, also try before undooing the intake pipe it might just flex enough internally when you pry the coupler apart.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Did you use the belt tensioner tool/clamp thing or do you only need this if you're removing the assembly?

I think I'm up for a belt replacement soon.

The pipe between the supercharger and the air box looks to be a real pain in the ass.

Cheers, Mal
    You don't need to remove the assy. Or anything really more then what I posted above. Yes the intake pipe is a bitch that's why I made the small triangle cut works well and does not affect anything. I tried prying the motor fwd that pipe does not budge enough to move the motor fwd and I did not want to pry to hard and break something. How many hrs on your belt. ?

+1
    72 now. I've got to inspect it properly though. I notice a black smear on the tensioner like a black texta mark. The other thing that's weird is I've lost boost (it's cold here so if anything I would have thought I'd be seeing more or at least more rpm). I've got to check that out too. I'm pulling around 100rpm less and probably loosing 2 PSI according to the Kawi gauge.

I think all this is self induced. My Lanotec spray nozzle buggered up and sprayed on the belt and tensioner. I then sparyed it with degreaser and washed it all down with water. Not sure if the degreaser softened the rubber on the belt and that explains the smear. Boost has been down for a while now so what I did didn't cause that but pretty sure it caused a little rubber to come off the belt.

Are boost and rpm symptoms of the belt slipping? I assume if it's slipping it's not going to last to much longer. With the 250, if it slipped did it break pretty quickly after?

Cheers, Mal.

+1
    you would know if it was slipping mal,

+1
    ok cool, thanks.

+1
    hey mal check your i/c cause if you are fogging after each ride im guessing you may have the answer your seeking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information