Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stx-R 1200 problems

Hi guys, new to the whole jetski world so excuse any stupidity I may exhibit... Wondering if I could get some advice.
    New owner of '03 stxr 1200. It has a couple issues, was taking on water at first through prop shaft tunnel, pretty sure that's now fixed but when I take it out now it works great for 3 hours and then loses power. I don't get full throttle and it won't go above 30kmph. Sometime after a jolt off a wave it regains power for a second but then seems to lose again. I'm trying carby cleaner tomorrow and taking her out again but what I'm wondering is: does anyone have any advice on where and what I should start looking for problems at?
    I know this pretty general question but kinda lost and need somewhere to start. I'm mechanical but very little knowledge of jetski's and how they work.
    Much appreciate any time taken to answer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr IPhone View Post
    Hi guys, new to the whole jetski world so excuse any stupidity I may exhibit... Wondering if I could get some advice.
    New owner of '03 stxr 1200. It has a couple issues, was taking on water at first through prop shaft tunnel, pretty sure that's now fixed but when I take it out now it works great for 3 hours and then loses power. I don't get full throttle and it won't go above 30kmph. Sometime after a jolt off a wave it regains power for a second but then seems to lose again. I'm trying carby cleaner tomorrow and taking her out again but what I'm wondering is: does anyone have any advice on where and what I should start looking for problems at?
    I know this pretty general question but kinda lost and need somewhere to start. I'm mechanical but very little knowledge of jetski's and how they work.
    Yeah, sell it and get a seadoo Robsta!!

+1
    How much water had gotten into the hull before you fixed the driveshaft leak?....it could be possible connectors are wet if it was a considerable amount try and take all the electrical connectors out and clean them with a spray cleaner. Let dry and apply thin coat of dielectric grease.

+1 start with the electrical system, especially if you are in salt water. Those connectors get a little moisture on them and they corrode pretty quickly. You should meter out all of you positive and negative cables as well to check for resistance. The fact that the inconsistency clears up after you hit a wave is a good indication of an electrical problem.

On another not, that boat has some sort of carb condition. I think they were built with keihin carbs, which pretty much speaks for itself. Just wanted to put that out there before you start monkeying with them. Also, do a compression test seeing as you are a new owner. It never hurts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr IPhone View Post
    If you drop to 30 mph, your running on 2 cylinders. Simple, remove the seat and feel each cylinder, the one thats not firing is cooler to the touch than the other two.
    If you find a cooler one, its either spark or carb for that cylinder.
    If they are all the same, try this, losten the gas cap and see if you get your speed back, sometimes the tank vent valve jams closed and the engine becomes starved for fuel.
    I assume your not getting a Warning light on the Gauge panel so its not a limp mode overheat.

Good luck.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, change your spark plugs. I've seen a plug die in only a few hours (faulty plug). So don't assume they are good because they are relatively new (if they are)

If it's stock the carbs should be fine (unless the ski is in rough condition). If it's not you may find they are contributing the plug problem (fouling). Just pull the plugs and have a look.

The water getting in was a known issue (happened on all older STX's). Not sure when this was fixed, 2004 or 2005, but I know my STX-R, 2005 model, doesn't have the issue.

PS: don't worry about Aussiepauly, he was snatched and drugged by a Seadoo dealer recently. I think the effects still haven't worn off

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Yep, change your spark plugs. I've seen a plug die in only a few hours (faulty plug). So don't assume they are good because they are relatively new (if they are)

If it's stock the carbs should be fine (unless the ski is in rough condition). If it's not you may find they are contributing the plug problem (fouling). Just pull the plugs and have a look.

The water getting in was a known issue (happened on all older STX's). Not sure when this was fixed, 2004 or 2005, but I know my STX-R, 2005 model, doesn't have the issue.

PS: don't worry about Aussiepauly, he was snatched and drugged by a Seadoo dealer recently. I think the effects still haven't worn off

Hey Mal, this is one of my mates I was telling you about! Never ending problems!!

You are a funny man, look forward to meeting you and your tow ropes tomorrow, weather looking sweet!!

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    haha yeah, cheers

Hopefully it gets sorted. There is noting worse than riding and worrying about if your ski is going to get you back to the ramp.

See you tomorrow, Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    It wasn't not too long ago i belevie this happening to you STXR1200 Ski Aussiepauly!!!!! Any personal suggestions to the I Phone Docotor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oz-pwc View Post
    It wasn't not too long ago i belevie this happening to you STXR1200 Ski Aussiepauly!!!!! Any personal suggestions to the I Phone Docotor?
    Yes he is my mate of 20 years, told him to sell it, it is never ending problems, no faith in the ski anymore, sinks every time we take it out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information