+1

Coolant overflow

I have a buddy who rides an 08 PX with about 80 hours. He has told me that recently it has started to lose coolant as he rides.
    I told him to check if it was coming out of the tank overflow after WOT runs.

He took it to a shop, and the mechanic has run a few tests. It turns out coolant was coming out of the overflow when the ski was relatively cold. After it was topped up, the problem went away. The mechanic is telling him he is 99% certain it is a thermostat issue

Can the thermo cause this issue? I told him I was pretty confident his head gasket was toast.....

He also said the mechanic checked out the head and there were no leaks, and all was good... I'm not sure what tests he has done... Possibly leakdown??

Anybody had a thermostat issue that has caused them to puke coolant? I would have thought you would also get an overheat alarm, thats what leads me to believe it is the HG.

Thanks

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Matt I had the same problem with a RXP-X loosing coolant.After I checked every spot on the cooling system I realise that the plate was leaking coolant from a couple of bolts.I pull the plate off,split it and then I reseal every bolt individualy.After that it runs just fine no leaks any more even now after 80+ hours.I have to mention that ski had around 90 hours when this happens.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsakosgt View Post
    Matt I had the same problem with a RXP-X loosing coolant.After I checked every spot on the cooling system I realise that the plate was leaking coolant from a couple of bolts.I pull the plate off,split it and then I reseal every bolt individualy.After that it runs just fine no leaks any more even now after 80+ hours.I have to mention that ski had around 90 hours when this happens.
    Dimitris, he has had the cooling system pressure tested and they did not detect any leaks. The mechanic verified that the coolant was coming out the overflow, but said it was only when the ski was still cold?? Sounded odd to me...

fautly thermostat can cause it to overflow and over heat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post
    fautly thermostat can cause it to overflow and over heat.
    Thats what I would have thought if the thermo was faulty. But the ski isn't giving any overheat alarms....

Thread Information