Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

95 slt750 project

i got a 95 slt750 as a projectfor a first ski. it costed 150 dollars as is with papers.when i tried to tocrankit the engine would not turn but i could hear the starter try to turn the engine.i was also told that it had weak spark.could dirty connections on everything cause that? it also has all the decals faded and pealing. i would like to get it running and paint it all black. how hard is it to get the engine to turn again.from what i saw only the front cylinder had rust in it. i would also like to do it with out pulling the engine if possible. i am looking for any info that could help. with getting it running.

Banned User
    +1
    If you have rust I am sure you are looking at a rebuild. Pulling the engine really isnt that difficult. It will make the engine soooooooooo much easier to work on as well. Remove the jet pump and drive shaft and see if you can turn the engine by hand from the drive coupler. you will have to remove the cover over the coupler.

is thedrive coupler the black piece inbetween the drive shaft and crank shaft if it is i already tried toturn it with no luck

Banned User
    +1
    There is a plastic cover thats attached with a hose clamp. That has to come off and you will see the drive shaft and coupler under there. On a 750 the coupler is most likely silver.

i turned the coupler when it refused to turn by the starter and it wouldnt turn still

+1
    There is the possibility that the crank bearings are rusted solid or there is a broken rod lodged in one of the cylinders. The bearings in the jet pump can also rust and lock the driveshaft tight.

Right now I would suggest you remove the jet pump and try turning the engine by hand again. No matter what you do at this point the jet pump must come off to diagnose the problem so its really a no brainer.

If the engine turns smoothly with the pump off it means you need rebuild the pump stator. If it still won't turn it means the engine needs to come out for closer inspection. The possibilities at that point is a rusted crank or you could have loose pieces around the flywheel that are lodged and won't allow it to turn. The flywheel is a longshot but is easiest to diagnose with the engine removed where you can see everything....at least on your first time around.

KJ

how would i remove the jet pump. also when i tried spinning the coupler the drive shaft would rotaate

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lmidden View Post
    how would i remove the jet pump. also when i tried spinning the coupler the drive shaft would rotaate
    Okay, that's different altogether. So, you had the spark plugs out and you could turn the coupler by hand and saw the driveshaft spin. Do I have this correct? If that is the case, you most likely do not have an engine with internal damage.

When you first tried to turn the engine over, what exactly did you hear? Did you push the start button and just hear a click? It's possible you just have a weak battery that does not have enough amperage to turn the starter motor. You also could have an issue with the starter or bendix. Maybe these got exposed (or immersed) in water and the internals are corroded?

Step #1 - Make sure you have a fully charged, healthy battery.

Step #2 - remove spark plugs, spray some fogging oil in the cylinders

Step #3 - Grab the coupler and turn the engine counter clockwise (looking from the rear) about 3 full revolutions.

If the motor turns it's not seized up.

Now, use a multimeter and place one lead on the battery end of the ground cable and touch the other lead to one of heads near a spark plug hole. If you read 0 ohms that means you have a good ground. If there is any resistance you need to clean the ground connection on the bed plate and retest. Once you achieve 0 ohms between those two points, attach the battery and bump the starter button. If the engine turns...voila, you're set to test everything else. If you still only hear a click you need to diagnose the starter or bendix.

KJ

whn i was spinning the coupler it looked like it was getting farther from the engine does the coupler screw onto the crank i was using my cars battery to try to start it which is brand new. when i tried to crank it over it sounded like it just hit a wall when it tried to spin

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lmidden View Post
    whn i was spinning the coupler it looked like it was getting farther from the engine does the coupler screw onto the crank i was using my cars battery to try to start it which is brand new. when i tried to crank it over it sounded like it just hit a wall when it tried to spin
    That doesn't sound good. Looks like you'll need to pull the engine for further diagnostic.
    Pump removal instruction:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126186

Engine install/removal:
    http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/p650750780.pdf

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information