Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

96 Hurricane-Projecta"Deceptacon"

Instead of updating info on my Hello to all page Ive started this thread to keep you guys in the loop on the project at hand.

For those who dont know I purchased my first ski a month back....A 96 Cane.....which was in a messy state to say the least an in a heap of parts.

This is what im dealing with and its my first attempt at building so for now its clean up time with more picks to come.

+1
    Keep the pics coming.

Banned User
    +1
    Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a bucket loads more pics like the mountains of silastic the fool who last worked on it left behind .....The person who invented that should be drawn and quartered

Then I disassemble the jet unit.....and realized why the impeller would only turn 10-15 milmtrs.....never has been serviced and the oil had turned to solid

Went to upload them and th PC wouldnt upload them cause th SD card wasnt formatted....LOST THE LOT

Right so between my wife constantly calling me back in from my task at hand to deal with unruly kids Ive managed to clean some stuff up

The hull got a work over.

Steering reassembled and checked out ok

Carbs put back together Not sure if I want the headache of rebuilding them or just source another set

Next came the pump

The prop has 3 minor dents on them (If you look close I think you can see then just)

Judging by the bubbles in the seal of the bearing I gather thats why the props not spinning.....Pump rebuild needed now.

But you gotta love the Ebay spin to pull you in lol
    This is the pic on the add which wasnt as good a quality as th one im showing you now

The imperfection in the hull.....hmmm not to bad a one sided repair one thinks..

Then you fins this and thing hmmmmmm thats doesnt seem that bad of a repair but still need to hit it from both sides

Then after taking out the ballast foam you find this.........What can I say....Didnt see that comin

Lol more time fixing now that a hole the size of my thumb turned into a fracture as big as my hand.....But hey thats Ebay for ya

At least the Kawasaki doesnt hold this many suprises lol I know im getting nothing with that but the hull with it and Ive already inspected that part....not much at all(Unless im being tricked by a different ski knowing my luck).

Thats it for now just waiting and cleaning some more ....hoping to get an engine by mid March so lets see.....Matt

Banned User
    +1
    Don't waste your money on another set of carbs. Most likely any carbs you would buy would be no better than what you have now, and still would need to be cleaned/rebuilt. Getting the carbs off is more difficult than rebuilding them. Once you open them up, inspect the parts for drying or cracking. You may be able to get away with just cleaning them if all of the parts are ok. In K447s links there are instructions on rebuilding the carbs. Its quite easy to do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wilson View Post

Carbs put back together Not sure if I want the headache of rebuilding them or just source another set

.Matt
    Sorry,the carbs are assembled incorrectly, The left side of the left carb needs to slide together with the linkage on the right side of the right carb (that is what makes them move together)
    The covers you see in the pics (diaphram/jet cover) needs to face the engine.

There should be 2 skinny black bars/brackets that hold the carbs together,one at the top of side facing pic,one at bottom of other side.

+1
    Good pickup. Spin both carbs 180 degrees. You will see the throttle arm on the right carb needs to be above the bracket that feeds the throttle cable on the right. Also agree that you should inspect and rebuild first if the carbs are ok internally no rust especially. Make sure you order genuine Keihin kits on these! I have quite a few Keihin CDK-II carbs as well in here Sydney if you need any parts let me know.

+1 To you all for helpful advise on this matter

Carbs were basically dismantled when I got them.....Had to find all the screws and put it back together.....Since it was apart there was rust in places and on the serviceable side there are these spring loaded sea-saw looking contraptions that push a type of dowel and there is some ugly pitting from rust there on the carb to the right and the dowel has rusted away and jammed up in the housing

And these items are in a good condition but need to replace the springs that tension them.

Promise to get the carbs sorted out and on the right way

Let me know your thoughts on the rust factor on the one on the right......Is the damage irreversible?

+1
    looking in you engine bay, its looks like you have the inserts/engine mounts there for the longer 1050 or 1200 size motor???
    i dont know canes well but thats cool if they fitted the inserts from factory??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information