Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stranded out in the ocean, towed in by police

Ok so finally got my ski in the water, bought new battery for it, charged it, yesterday rode out about 30mins out and decided to go for a swin, jumped back on and the motor tied turning over then just clicked had to get towed in by policeTried bypassing the solenoid and would just get a spark and clickingDidn't know what it could be, decided to put the battery on charge and took 6 hours to charge however the battery was fully charged What would cause the battery to get this flat? Can something drain it? When I bought it I only left it on charge for 20 mins and said it was fullShould I replace the starter solenoid while I'm at it? I cleaned the 3 grounds etc

+1
    Did you leave your key on the post?

Otherwise id be looking at the magneto

If you cross the 2 terminals near the relay it should turn over (won't start though) if the relay is the issue

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    Did you leave your key on the post?

Otherwise id be looking at the magneto

If you cross the 2 terminals near the relay it should turn over (won't start though) if the relay is the issue

nah i didnt leave it on the post.

ever since i bought the ski, the problem has got worse and worse, originally it was the odd time it wouldnt start and now it just died.

i went out this morning after the batt was charged and the thing ran fine, even started well.

same issue occured with the old battery and thaught that was stuffed so i went out yesterday and got a new one, my charger said full so i just installed it and gave it a crack.

when solonoids play up do they just fail or do they play around ? could the faulty solonoid cause the batt to drain?

is there anything else i could check while i have it appart?

appreciate the help

+1
    Faulty solenoids will just click, mine was intermittent e.g. few tries it would click then would start.

+1
    Put an amp meter in series with one of the battery terminals and see if there is a current draw with the key pulled.

If nothing check your battery voltage when the ski is running and compare the voltage with the engine off...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    Put an amp meter in series with one of the battery terminals and see if there is a current draw with the key pulled.

If nothing check your battery voltage when the ski is running and compare the voltage with the engine off...

I'll give that a shot, now
    I'm maybe thinking..... If the relay let go completely I probably tried to start It 20times and it originally went from half turn of the motor to just the clicking of the solenoid...

+1
    If the solenoid is clicking it usually means its working 95% of the time. Put an ohm meter on the relay and see if its closing when you hear the click...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    If the solenoid is clicking it usually means its wI thought orking 95% of the time. Put an ohm meter on the relay and see if its closing when you hear the click...

I thought From reading posts, when it just clicks but doesn't start that's meaning the relay is gone?

When you say closing why do you mean

+1
    He means, when you have an open circuit no current will flow, when closed current flows. Your meter will show open lead, if you hit the start button and shows resistance then it's closed and working. Makes sense?

+1
    check the fuse holders in the harness mine was not making good contact causing battery to not charge there was darkening on fuse blade fuse never blew had to replace holders

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information