Looking for a jetski

Hello all,

I am new to the jet ski world and have been looking at two different make and models. I didn't see a general forum so I hope this is in the right spot.

Over the past day I've been reading up on everything jet ski but have narrowed it down to two models and was wondering if you guys can help direct my novice decision making.

I am looking at two make and models:
    2005 seadoo Rxt with 30 htshrs
    2007 Kawasaki ultra 250x 59 hrs

I understand with the ultra 250x there are known issues but for the Rxt I'm not sure.

My phone doesn't like me posting here so I'll try and edit later. I apologize for any major errors.

Thanks in advance.

We can save you a lot of trouble, buy an Yamaha. lol they are a lot more reliable then the others in my opinion

+1
    I prefer Yamaha as well but out of those two I'd get the Seadoo, never been much of a Kawi fan..

Doh... I thought I posted this in the seadoo or Kawasaki forum.. I guess that's what I get for posting from my phone.. I'll correct it in a bit. Sorry guys..

As long as the thread is still here I will respond. I had both of these models you are referring to here and I will give a brief experience with both then my recommendation would "I" would do:
    2005 RXT. This Ski was a workhorse for me. I put 330 hours of fairly hard riding on it. Not one issue with the bottom end of the engine. Some issues with valves (replaced the valve train twice). The Hull held up well as did cables and other assorted items on the ski. The Pump was reliable too. I did not have issues with the Ceramic washers in the SC. But I replaced them every 75 hours.

2007 Ultra. Higher maintenance Ski. Had to change oil every 15 hours (or even more frequently in some cases). Had to replace Pump Bearings every 50 hours or more. Ditto Spark Plugs. SC area; Pulleys, Tensioners, etc very prone to rust . . . but area must be kept rust free or the rusted parts will "saw" off SC Belt. The SC must be fogged regularly or the unit will seize. Very heavy ski and does have a nice ride in the ocean / choppier days.

IMO: these are both low hour Skis. If you are more a "plug and play" type of person and not willing / can't spend the time the Ultra requires in post ride / general maintenance you will be happeir overall with the Sea Doo. If most of your riding is in salt water I have noticed that the Yamahas do "wear" better overall in the salt environment. You may want to consider a YAM too. Hope that helps. JB.

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    As long as the thread is still here I will respond. I had both of these models you are referring to here and I will give a brief experience with both then my recommendation would "I" would do:
    2005 RXT. This Ski was a workhorse for me. I put 330 hours of fairly hard riding on it. Not one issue with the bottom end of the engine. Some issues with valves (replaced the valve train twice). The Hull held up well as did cables and other assorted items on the ski. The Pump was reliable too. I did not have issues with the Ceramic washers in the SC. But I replaced them every 75 hours.

2007 Ultra. Higher maintenance Ski. Had to change oil every 15 hours (or even more frequently in some cases). Had to replace Pump Bearings every 50 hours or more. Ditto Spark Plugs. SC area; Pulleys, Tensioners, etc very prone to rust . . . but area must be kept rust free or the rusted parts will "saw" off SC Belt. The SC must be fogged regularly or the unit will seize. Very heavy ski and does have a nice ride in the ocean / choppier days.

IMO: these are both low hour Skis. If you are more a "plug and play" type of person and not willing / can't spend the time the Ultra requires in post ride / general maintenance you will be happeir overall with the Sea Doo. If most of your riding is in salt water I have noticed that the Yamahas do "wear" better overall in the salt environment. You may want to consider a YAM too. Hope that helps. JB.
    The ultra is 6.5k and the Rxt is 5.5k. I have been reading on the ultra and heard you will want to change pump bearing ASAP if it hasn't been changed yet to 2010 or 2011 specs. Does the Rxt have any recommendations like that? Id prefer to not buy one of them if right off the bat I need to start upgrading.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    i will get the doo, Even tho i dont like them either, but thats just YAMMI LOVE

I will get the RXT 2, there more reliable than those 250's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
    I am looking at two make and models:
    2005 seadoo Rxt with 30 htshrs
    2007 Kawasaki ultra 250x 59 hrs
    The SeaDoo is the superior craft of those two IMO, overall very reliable, but when they break they break bad; we had over $15,000 worth of warranty work done on our RXT's in 4 years. The ceramic clutch washers and valve stems made them a ticking time bomb, I would never buy one without a warranty. The Kawi is far worse; a rat's nest of problems, not even worth further comment.

If you want supercharged performance, I would take your $6K and walk away from both of those. Find a pre-owned ski with a manufacturer's extended warranty that can be transferred into your name. Preferably a YAMAHA with Y.E.S. Warranty. OR, take your $6K and drop it into a zero hour FZR or FZS; you can usually find some great deals on 2009-2010 zero hour leftover units for around $9,500 and get a new Y.E.S. Warranty. Finance the balance and pay it off in a year, that way you will have a 5 years of worry free riding.

Thread Information