+1

No power to anything??

Hey guys, My mate has a 2008 Rxp. When you put the key on the DESS post, absolutely nothing happens. The ski only has 5 hours on it, and he said he has had an issue with the post since new. It would intermittently fail, and he would have to insert the key several times in order to get it to recognise it. Now it has got to the point where it does nothing at all

I've checked the battery and ground strap and what not and can't seem to find the problem.... Any one got any ideas?
    I tried my ecu and key on his ski and it was no different.

Thanks

+1
    I'm assuming it has the same issue with the learning key? On my 07 RXP, it would have a similar problem sometimes. I had to get the post replaced, & according to the dealership, the problem came from leaving your Seadoo key next to something magnetic and then trying it on the post. Was that really the problem? I'm skeptical, but that's what I was told.

+1
    Sounds like the DESS post is stuffed

Try a magnet on it, should wake the ski up if the post is good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jsiouan View Post
    I'm assuming it has the same issue with the learning key? On my 07 RXP, it would have a similar problem sometimes. I had to get the post replaced, & according to the dealership, the problem came from leaving your Seadoo key next to something magnetic and then trying it on the post. Was that really the problem? I'm skeptical, but that's what I was told.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    Sounds like the DESS post is stuffed

Try a magnet on it, should wake the ski up if the post is good.
    Did some searching, I think both of you are onto something. A magnet did nothing to wake the ski up. I will try and diagnose the problem tomorrow with an ohmeter.

Is there a way to bridge the wires going to the post to power the accessories up? And am I right in assuming that after replacing the post, the lanyards will not need to be re-programmed as the info is stored in the ECU and has nothing to do with the DESS post itself?

+1
    yea replace the post should fix it, its just a reader - codes stored in the ECU

+1
    feed +12vdc the big relay that the dess post turns on.. this should wake everything up without needing the key etc...

think its the 30amp one if i remember correctly??

+1
    I tested for continuity between the black and the black/yellow. With the key in there was less than 1 ohm resistance, so that was all good. I did however forget to check the black and the black/purple. I think it is the black/purple that is used as the switch for the relay if I'm correct?

retro_racer - I tested out what you said with feeding 12v to the relay on my own ski, all I could get was a quick blip of power where the fuel pump would come on, then I lost it . Not really sure why??

test the black to black/purple also...

There is two reed switches in the post black to black/yellow is the first one and the second one is the black to black purple.

The lanyard will not need to be programmed again if you change the post, like stated above, it's really just a double switch and a reader or contacts for the key to be read.

We sell aftermarket dess post switches and they can be ordered through Jerry...

+1
    I tested the black to black/purple the other day. There was indeed no continuity between these 2 when the key was on the DESS post.

After making this diagnosis and being satisfied I had found the cause I decided to bridge the relay to get power to the ski.
    With the key on the post I ran a wire from the black/purple on the main relay to ground. This caused the ski to power up as usual.

Heres the weird thing - I was just about to leave after being confident that the post was stuffed. But everytime after that that I put the key on the post, it powered up no problems . I'm thinking that maybe one of the reed switches was sticking and jumping it was just enough to free the switch and get it working again....

I have still ordered a replacement as I assume the switch is faulty.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Thread Information