Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need help deciding

Hello all,

I am new to the jet ski world and have been looking at two different make and models. I didn't see a general forum so I hope this is in the right spot.

Over the past day I've been reading up on everything jet ski but have narrowed it down to two models and was wondering if you guys can help direct my novice decision making.

I am looking at two make and models:
    2005 seadoo Rxt with 30 htshrs $5,500
    2007 Kawasaki ultra 250x 59 hrs 6,500

I understand with the ultra 250x there are known issues but for the Rxt I'm not sure. I'd prefer not to jump into a ski that is going to require upgrades right off the bat.

Banned User
    +1
    What kind of riding do you do ? Lake ocean both ? What kind of top speeds are you looking for.

This will be my first ski so my time on the lake has been limited. From what I read the top speed (gps) is only 5mph difference between the two.
    No ocean riding here it will be all lake.
    I haven't done much reading on the Rxt but the ultra 250 has me a little nervous. I heard you want to change the pump bearing ASAP to 2010 specs regardless of hours. Is that the only upgrade that is required? After that will regular maintenance be sufficient in keeping my bottom end and or supercharge in one piece?

Banned User
    +1
    The 250 is a good ski. But your future with it highly depends on how it's been maintained. If its in good shape and you change the oil often and do good preventative maintenance the ski will run for a long time. It is the best rough water ski and will eat up any lake. It will top out about 65mph with every ski there could be issues. I'm not a see doo guy. So I won't comment on them but really it's best to take. Both for a test ride and see what you like best.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    The 250 is a good ski. But your future with it highly depends on how it's been maintained. If its in good shape and you change the oil often and do good preventative maintenance the ski will run for a long time. It is the best rough water ski and will eat up any lake. It will top out about 65mph with every ski there could be issues. I'm not a see doo guy. So I won't comment on them but really it's best to take. Both for a test ride and see what you like best.
    So I looked at the ultra 250x. The compression on all four cylinders was 150 and started within 2-3 seconds. The guy let it run for a few minutes and I didn't notice the boost gauge moving. Does it need to be in water to read any boost?

The ski itself had some exterior scratches and scuffs but nothing bad. The worst one was almost deep enough to fiberglass but dd t look like it would leak and was on side as of he hit a dock when parking.

The price is $6200 does this soy reasonable?

I have the vin and will be calling the dealer that has maintained it to see if the pump bearing has been replaced. Is there anything else I should look at for?

Banned User
    get another craft bro ur so gona regret getting a 250x, only the 260 and 300 are some what better but still a POS ski

Quote Originally Posted by Adolfo View Post
    get another craft bro ur so gona regret getting a 250x, only the 260 and 300 are some what better but still a POS ski
    Have you owned one? Care to elaborate?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolfo View Post
    Very constructive and you obviously no jack shit.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
    So I looked at the ultra 250x. The compression on all four cylinders was 150 and started within 2-3 seconds. The guy let it run for a few minutes and I didn't notice the boost gauge moving. Does it need to be in water to read any boost?

The ski itself had some exterior scratches and scuffs but nothing bad. The worst one was almost deep enough to fiberglass but dd t look like it would leak and was on side as of he hit a dock when parking.

The price is $6200 does this soy reasonable?

I have the vin and will be calling the dealer that has maintained it to see if the pump bearing has been replaced. Is there anything else I should look at for?
    The hrs are low. I would not pay more then 6 but 5500 is more in line if its a good ski closer to 5k with the condition you described.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    The hrs are low. I would not pay more then 6 but 5500 is more in line if its a good ski closer to 5k with the condition you described.
    I agree and I'll try to get him lower. It sounds like prices are a bit more where I'm at though. There is an Rxt 05 with 30 hrs for 5500. I am getting impatient and want one before spring when the prices really go up.... Ugh..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information