Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Pump Tunnel Reinforcement Tips

I have 2 GPR's. On one the shoe was properly sealed and bonded to the hull prior to putting the tunnel reinforcement on. On the other ski the shoe was loose as in stock condition.

The ski with the shoe properly sealed prior to pump tunnel reinforcement ended up with the shoe retaining its proper location.

The ski with the loose shoe ended up with the shoe being .100 too far forward. This is the cause of the buck I have been fighting for 6 months.
    The reinforcements were R&D reinforcements. I used 5200 to secure the reinforcements to the tunnel. The hydraulic force of the 5200 pushed everything forward as I tightened the bolts. I suspected this was the problem some time ago but knowing the shoe was bonded in with 5200 I was reluctant to remove it until last night. I destroyed the shoe getting it apart. I did have an extra so no biggie. I am glad I didn't damage the hull.

Everything is properly set now and bonded.

Just a word of caution set and bond the shoe first

Then worry about the tunnel reinforcement.
    Last edited by spud; 01-10-2007 at 11:27 PM.

+1
    Spud,
    glad to hear you found it. Good tip on the shoe placement first.

Consider epoxy next time.

+1
    Mark,

Thats a good idea. That 5200 is very viscous. She's together and looking good now. I can't wait to get back out there.

Both skis have been reinforced so I'll get out the epoxy on the next GPR.

+1
    Oh another thing. You won't have any idea there is a problem until somewheres around 78 mph. So you could be happy as a lark until you go with the big bore.

Good info spud!

+1
    Hi Spud i just finished putting together a Lowell 1390 but yet to dial the ski becuase when the ski hits mid 70s it bounces from nose to tail i am guessing this is what you guys call the buck.(scary)

What happened to me when installing my R&D Reinforcment was one of the bolts spun while i was torqueing the bolts down i was using the updated brackets. I had filled the tunnell area with 5200 silly me packed it in hard the tunnell was nearly set when the bolt spun. So as quick as i can i had a spare bracket got the old one out installed a new by that time the 5200 had slightly harden was nt able to to pull the kit all the way down bonded well there was plenty of 5200 there.

But i have a buck i can get rid do i am trying lots of different things (I have a few more things to try) and after reading your post it s the last thing I want to do you can understand why.
    Would I have to remove the Reinforment kit or just remove the brackets which are on top of the kit re drill the holes little bigger to get the shoe to sit further back will this work.

Not saying this is my problem but if i can t get rid of my buck ill be left with no chioce apart to rip it out just seeing what exactly you did to get the shoe to sit further back.

+1
    thanks for the tip Spud.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello Jim, I buy a product called LIFE-SEAL it's made by BOAT LIFE. You can buy it at west marine or boat us. Once you use this product you will never use anything else, Easy to work with and cleans up just with a rag. No chemicals needed. It comes in black, clear and white, I use the white so its the same color as the hull.

+1
    What should be the gap be around the shoe be anyway.

Or what should be the gap between the front of the shoe and hull supposed to be.

Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jims 1300 View Post
    Hello Jim, I buy a product called LIFE-SEAL it's made by BOAT LIFE. You can buy it at west marine or boat us. Once you use this product you will never use anything else, Easy to work with and cleans up just with a rag. No chemicals needed. It comes in black, clear and white, I use the white so its the same color as the hull.

I'm gonna try that next !

I hear The Right Stuff works good too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information