Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Window tinting

  1. #1
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,130
    +1
    205

    Window tinting

    Hi all,

    I am looking to tint the windows on my SRT8 challenger. There are a few local shops, but to be honest I am not all that familiar with the process of window tinting. Could someone fill me in on how the windows are tinted and what to look out for? Any help is much appreciated

    Mike


  2. #2
    MSRXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central MS
    Posts
    5,448
    +1
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Hi all,

    I am looking to tint the windows on my SRT8 challenger. There are a few local shops, but to be honest I am not all that familiar with the process of window tinting. Could someone fill me in on how the windows are tinted and what to look out for? Any help is much appreciated

    Mike
    Know your state and local laws on the max you can go. I did 20% on all the way around and 70% on the front glass. It really takes the heat out.

    When they tiny your windows, they use a film by any different number of manufacturers. 3m is what I have and it is well worth the money. It's designed to keep the heat out. I have the same film on my windows at home.

    They clean rigorously your interior side of the windows with a soap water. Place the film on the wet window for measurement and cut the curve. It is removed and the window is re-wet with the solution and the adhesion layer is peeled off of the back of the film that will actually contact the glass. It is places about 1/8" to 1/16" below the curve of the glass depending on the skill and preference of your installer. They press the air bubbles and such out with a rubber or type of sponge again depending on preference.

    The film will adhere and cure within a few house but you MUST NOT ROLL YOUR WINDOWS DOWN AT LEAST FOR 1/2 to 1 day. PERIOD.

    A crappy job will look crappy. Not symmetrical on the curves and on the heater lines (which they must cut out) if they do not it will not last and will bubble. Rolling your windows down will create the same bubbling effect on the side windows. Good luck.

  3. #3
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,130
    +1
    205
    Awesome info. Local law in MA is 30%. If anyone in MA, NH, CT happens to know a good shop let me know.

  4. #4
    big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,395
    +1
    598
    alot of shop pre cut the film on a vinyl cutter now with pattern software, makes for a much neater job !!!!! google window tinting in MA !!!! or buy the pre cut kit and learn to do it your self, i've done it before, but would rather pay someone to it ..........

  5. #5
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,130
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    alot of shop pre cut the film on a vinyl cutter now with pattern software, makes for a much neater job !!!!! google window tinting in MA !!!! or buy the pre cut kit and learn to do it your self, i've done it before, but would rather pay someone to it ..........
    I agree, deff worth the money to get it done right! Whats another couple hundred anyways?

  6. #6
    big john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,395
    +1
    598
    shouldnt be more than $200 for a four door car anyway, at least thats all you would pay here in florida !!!!!! the window tint capital of the world !!!!

  7. #7
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Awesome info. Local law in MA is 30%. If anyone in MA, NH, CT happens to know a good shop let me know.
    is that on the entire car or just the front windows? In Illinois you can have anything you want on the rears but nothing on the driver or passenger windows but people get away with it here anyway. You can have tint on the fronts as long as you have a note from your optometrist that says you have a sensitivity to light...then you can have anything you want all the way around, even 5%

  8. #8
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,130
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    is that on the entire car or just the front windows? In Illinois you can have anything you want on the rears but nothing on the driver or passenger windows but people get away with it here anyway. You can have tint on the fronts as long as you have a note from your optometrist that says you have a sensitivity to light...then you can have anything you want all the way around, even 5%
    Im not 100% sure about the 30% tint. I think its all the way around but obviously I'll check when I have the tint installed.

  9. #9
    KamikazeGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,361
    +1
    99
    A few years back i got pulled over in the burbs for having my front windows tinted. The cop had a digital device that measures the tint. My factory tinted rear & back windows were 15%. My fronts were also 15%. Legal limit is 30%(70% light pass-thru) on front.The ticket was $106. Cop told me they would throw ticket out if i removed it before i went to court.

    I removed the tint the day before court and they threw out the ticket. Drove from courthouse to window tinting shop and had the fronts redone for $50.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP00584.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	264447  

  10. #10
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,049
    +1
    238
    They removed the adhesive and reinstalled for only50.00? Wow that's insane!
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    A few years back i got pulled over in the burbs for having my front windows tinted. The cop had a digital device that measures the tint. My factory tinted rear & back windows were 15%. My fronts were also 15%. Legal limit is 30%(70% light pass-thru) on front.The ticket was $106. Cop told me they would throw ticket out if i removed it before i went to court.

    I removed the tint the day before court and they threw out the ticket. Drove from courthouse to window tinting shop and had the fronts redone for $50.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Modified power windows
    By Shibby1485 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-19-2006, 05:49 PM
  2. Window Sizing Issue
    By '02GPRider in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
  3. I HATE WINDOWS !!!!!
    By Boris in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 06:40 PM
  4. *** URGENT *** CRITICAL Windows XP SP1/SP2 Vulnerability
    By BrAinZ in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 05:15 PM
  5. New Windows OS
    By Compwhiz82 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •