Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Window tinting

+1

Window tinting

Hi all,

I am looking to tint the windows on my SRT8 challenger. There are a few local shops, but to be honest I am not all that familiar with the process of window tinting. Could someone fill me in on how the windows are tinted and what to look out for? Any help is much appreciated

Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking to tint the windows on my SRT8 challenger. There are a few local shops, but to be honest I am not all that familiar with the process of window tinting. Could someone fill me in on how the windows are tinted and what to look out for? Any help is much appreciated

Mike
    Know your state and local laws on the max you can go. I did 20% on all the way around and 70% on the front glass. It really takes the heat out.

When they tiny your windows, they use a film by any different number of manufacturers. 3m is what I have and it is well worth the money. It's designed to keep the heat out. I have the same film on my windows at home.

They clean rigorously your interior side of the windows with a soap water. Place the film on the wet window for measurement and cut the curve. It is removed and the window is re-wet with the solution and the adhesion layer is peeled off of the back of the film that will actually contact the glass. It is places about 1/8" to 1/16" below the curve of the glass depending on the skill and preference of your installer. They press the air bubbles and such out with a rubber or type of sponge again depending on preference.

The film will adhere and cure within a few house but you MUST NOT ROLL YOUR WINDOWS DOWN AT LEAST FOR 1/2 to 1 day. PERIOD.

A crappy job will look crappy. Not symmetrical on the curves and on the heater lines (which they must cut out) if they do not it will not last and will bubble. Rolling your windows down will create the same bubbling effect on the side windows. Good luck.

+1
    Awesome info. Local law in MA is 30%. If anyone in MA, NH, CT happens to know a good shop let me know.

+1
    alot of shop pre cut the film on a vinyl cutter now with pattern software, makes for a much neater job !!!!! google window tinting in MA !!!! or buy the pre cut kit and learn to do it your self, i've done it before, but would rather pay someone to it ..........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    alot of shop pre cut the film on a vinyl cutter now with pattern software, makes for a much neater job !!!!! google window tinting in MA !!!! or buy the pre cut kit and learn to do it your self, i've done it before, but would rather pay someone to it ..........
    I agree, deff worth the money to get it done right! Whats another couple hundred anyways?

+1
    shouldnt be more than $200 for a four door car anyway, at least thats all you would pay here in florida !!!!!! the window tint capital of the world !!!!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Awesome info. Local law in MA is 30%. If anyone in MA, NH, CT happens to know a good shop let me know.
    is that on the entire car or just the front windows? In Illinois you can have anything you want on the rears but nothing on the driver or passenger windows but people get away with it here anyway. You can have tint on the fronts as long as you have a note from your optometrist that says you have a sensitivity to light...then you can have anything you want all the way around, even 5%

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    is that on the entire car or just the front windows? In Illinois you can have anything you want on the rears but nothing on the driver or passenger windows but people get away with it here anyway. You can have tint on the fronts as long as you have a note from your optometrist that says you have a sensitivity to light...then you can have anything you want all the way around, even 5%
    Im not 100% sure about the 30% tint. I think its all the way around but obviously I'll check when I have the tint installed.

+1
    A few years back i got pulled over in the burbs for having my front windows tinted. The cop had a digital device that measures the tint. My factory tinted rear & back windows were 15%. My fronts were also 15%. Legal limit is 30%(70% light pass-thru) on front.The ticket was $106. Cop told me they would throw ticket out if i removed it before i went to court.

I removed the tint the day before court and they threw out the ticket. Drove from courthouse to window tinting shop and had the fronts redone for $50.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP00584.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	264447  

Banned User
    +1
    They removed the adhesive and reinstalled for only50.00? Wow that's insane!
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    A few years back i got pulled over in the burbs for having my front windows tinted. The cop had a digital device that measures the tint. My factory tinted rear & back windows were 15%. My fronts were also 15%. Legal limit is 30%(70% light pass-thru) on front.The ticket was $106. Cop told me they would throw ticket out if i removed it before i went to court.

I removed the tint the day before court and they threw out the ticket. Drove from courthouse to window tinting shop and had the fronts redone for $50.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information