Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1

Universal covers - anyone ever suffered damage from them?

To keep a nice uniform look on the trailer and replace the old and ratty covers on my ski's I'm going to be getting a set of 2 universal covers from a local supplier (~$50/Each, decent deal) for my skis.

I've read a few stories around here from people who mentioned that some aftermarket universal type covers tend to flap like crazy, so the question I have is - has anyone ever had their ski suffer damage as a result?

I will be towing my double trailer behind our fifth wheel RV most of the time and the RV tends to create a huge vacuum behind it so that the ski's will probably have a pretty smooth ride anyways from a wind standpoint, but on the flipside we do a LOT of travelling, so even a little flap over hours and hours of travel could be concerning? Of course, there will be times that we will have the ski's only behind us so they will be in direct airflow behind the truck.

The machine I own, and the second it looks like I'm going to own are well beyond the age of ever being able to easily (or possibly ever) find factory covers for up here, so I guess I'm considering whether to use the new universal covers solely when parked, but remove them while towing....or use them all the time.

I don't know if I would tow with a cover, they tend to flap around and produce rub marks on the finish.

I drove with an OEM cover and found out the hard way.

Banned User
    +1
    I tend to agree about towing without the cover. The universal covers tend to be a loose fit. You can find aftermarket custom fitted covers however. I have bought a few and they work well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I tend to agree about towing without the cover.
    Ok, I'm actually surprised to hear that it's fairly common to tow without the covers..I almost always see the covers on ski's up here while being towed, so I guess it comes down to how much you care about your machines.

The universal covers tend to be a loose fit. You can find aftermarket custom fitted covers however. I have bought a few and they work well.
    Even for late 90's machines? I've been looking around (eBay, etc) and without exception most of the covers I've found for my generation of machines are advertised as model specific, but end up being nothing more than the universal fit models being advertised with keywords that attract attention to the auctions, nothing more.

I plan to take a few trips with the Fifth wheel/Jetski trailer combo in tow and the wife following me in the car (video taping with the iPhone) so she can give me an idea how much flapping there is going on back there and decide accordingly.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    O.K., I've had after market covers on the GTI's for years. NEVER tow with them on. After 1 almost peeled the mirrors off when the nose came loose. Belly straps kept it from blowing completely off(and taking the mirrors with it. There were the 'cover-mate' covers carried by Overton's. They have also left a black residue on the seats and whatever the else they come in contact with. I figure its because I live in the middle of the Mojave desert and the covers themselves reach well over 140 when sitting in the sun. The residue deposit, I'm guessing is from the material on the inside of the cover, which, I guess is for water repellancy.

For the GTR, I have a O.E.M. cover and it fits so well, and the elastic is TIGHT enough that I will prolly give it a shot @ towing with it on. The OEM cover is vented as well adding to the likely hood that it will tow well while on the machine; I hope.

Check Overtons for application specific covers. I have no problems with the covermate covers, other than the black that rubbs off underneath. So Grab a clean old towel, cover your seat, then put the cover on.

Banned User
    +1
    I have the Overtons covers as well. They leave some kind of plastic residue on the hull when towing. It does buff off however. They do fit nice, and look good as well. Around 140 bucks a piece. I have just been storing them with the covers on. I know there is a guy on Ebay who sells new Polaris OEM covers. He probably has them for other makes too.

+1
    I know there is a guy on Ebay who sells new Polaris OEM covers. He probably has them for other makes too.
    If you can dig up the seller please post it here. Like I said, I found a crap-ton of sellers with listings that were designed to appear they were selling "OEM" covers, but when you actually look at the particulars it turns out they're just universal covers listed under all sorts of model-specific auction listings.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a few.

Banned User
    +1

Thread Information