93 Kawasaki 750ss Problems

Hey All, On my 750ss thats been sitting for about 6yrs, I decided to put it back on the water. On the first trip, oil line deteriorated resulted in seized ring on back cylinder. Brought it home and rebuilt top end and removed oil injection with block off plate and removed oil tank. Now I noticed the temp and fuel guage not working correctly, just lites up one dot showing empty. On riding it runs okay for a little while then at wot it dies, starts right back up but wot dies. Brought it home pulled the gas tank unit and one of the filter screens is totally deteriorated. Looking at parts houses those filter screens are about $75 wow, was thinking about buying complete used unit off ebay. Any ideas on why the guage would stop working after removing the oil injection? Or why the ski would die at wot? Please Help!!! Thanks wpb750ss

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wpb750ss View Post
    Hey All, On my 750ss thats been sitting for about 6yrs, I decided to put it back on the water. On the first trip, oil line deteriorated resulted in seized ring on back cylinder. Brought it home and rebuilt top end and removed oil injection with block off plate and removed oil tank. Now I noticed the temp and fuel guage not working correctly, just lites up one dot showing empty. On riding it runs okay for a little while then at wot it dies, starts right back up but wot dies. Brought it home pulled the gas tank unit and one of the filter screens is totally deteriorated. Looking at parts houses those filter screens are about $75 wow, was thinking about buying complete used unit off ebay. Any ideas on why the guage would stop working after removing the oil injection? Or why the ski would die at wot? Please Help!!! Thanks wpb750ss
    Did you take carbs apart to see if there is any trash inside? Replace fuel filter?

Thanks Glenn, Havent pulled carb yet was working on fuel filters. Are the only filters in the tank? Pulled those out and ones all torn up other looks okay. Went online and freaked at the price of those filters. Right now thinking of carb rebuild and hoses and filters. Thanks

+1
    I removed the mangled fuel filters from mine and put rubber hoses on the ends of the tubes to get the correct length. Then I put an inline fuel filter in the engine compartment.

After sitting so long, you'll need to rebuild the carbs to get it to run at full throttle.

The fuel gage sender may be bad, or the LED display may be bad. Do all the LEDs light up when you first start it?

Thanks Steve, Gonna use your set-up on filters. Picked up some fuel line today and cleaned unit. What did you use to clamp the fuel lines in the tank. I think ty-wraps would desentigrate and SS clamps only band is SS. Picked up some spring clamps their steel How will that hold up in gas? The LED's i didnt notice. Did find one of the gas guage floats stuck around empty,cleaned that all up. Did you put inline filters on the on and res lines? Thanks for the help!!!

+1
    I use stainless steel safety wire to secure fuel & oil lines. Steel spring clamps would be fine. I used only one filter and put it between the selector valve and the fuel pump inlet.

Thanks Steve, Waiting to get the carb back from rebuild. I did your setup on filters and it ran good just waiting to get carb tommorow. wpb750ss

I would also recomend and i know its a chore pulling the tank.....i have several skis older than 10 years. every single one i have pulled the tank on after several issues with having to rebuild carbs multiple times and serious amounts of trash. i have found that alot of the tanks build up varnish in the tank and the varnish can become like a second skin in the tank and flak off and or become crusty...as well as you would not believe the amount of trash that gets into a tank over 10 years. its alot of work but ...in my opinion it helps solve alot of the problem and keep you going longer. I say this cuz my 97 xi rebuilt the carbs 3 times....kept having issues only to find out it was trash in the tank and like the other guys said replace all your lines .....it sounds mundane and too simple but the cleaner every thing is the better.

Thread Information