Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snapped Off Intake Grate Bolt.....How to Get it Out??

Despite heating the bolts with a torch, one of them snapped off right at the start of the threads while I was removing the grate. I've got about 1/4" of the bolt exposed, but I can't make it budge. I've tried heating it to the point I'm melting surrounding fiberglass and still can't move it. Also hit it with multiple shots of penetrating oil. Still nothing. This sucker is really in there. I've never had luck with EZ Outs, so my next plan is to pull out the left hand bits and start drilling, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks!

+1
    not sure what kind of ski but--what about taking the insert/bracket out completely from inside the ski? and layoff the heat

+1
    I've used this product before with incredible success. Hands down the best screw/bolt extractor. http://www.lowes.com/pd_280440-41877...tor&facetInfo=

It's an 08 FX HO. It uses the same grate as an SHO, so I'm guessing the bracket is the same as on the SHO. I'll take a look to see if it might be possible to pull the bracket. If not I may try the Grabit thing. I'm just worried about snapping one off inside the bolt, which would make drilling impossible.

Thanks for the help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    It's an 08 FX HO. It uses the same grate as an SHO, so I'm guessing the bracket is the same as on the SHO. I'll take a look to see if it might be possible to pull the bracket. If not I may try the Grabit thing. I'm just worried about snapping one off inside the bolt, which would make drilling impossible.

Thanks for the help!
    I dont think you will be able to pull the bracket based on my experience on the FZ platform. I've used the grabit screw extractors on stainless steel bolts on the speedo sensor on my FZ and I swear by them.

+1
    i wasnt sure of the ski thats why i wrote bracket assy i was thinking gpr style maybe??? and those extractors do work well.

+1
    Just remove the grate mount bracket from inside the hull. Its easier to work on the bench, and if you cant get it out then get a new bracket and glue it in with 5200fc.

Yea just looked at the bracket. Its glued down with something that looks pretty tough to remove. However, the bracket thing did give me another idea. I'm going to try heating the bracket right over the bolt, instead of the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Just remove the grate mount bracket from inside the hull. Its easier to work on the bench, and if you cant get it out then get a new bracket and glue it in with 5200fc.
    Yea removing the bracket looks to be the easiest, but how do you remove it? Just pry it up? Its glued down with some type of white sealant.

+1
    there is usually a blob of brownish colored "glue"over the top of the bracket, and white sealant underneath... I use a prybar to get the blob off, then gentle pry up around the edges of the bracket to remove... you can tap a prybar under the edge of the blob of glue to get a bite on it

If you can get a heat gun in there and heat that glue up, it will help with the removal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information