Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Ontario Canada PWC Insurance

All,
    I was at a dealer meeting a couple of weeks ago and there was some concern over insurance for PWC's in Ontario. Can you please post your rates and where you are getting it? We want to make sure things are not going up in our area.
    Thanks,
    Rob

I am with Lombard Canada, runs me 477 a year on my 2011 RXT X 260.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Great to find this thread - I'm going to be shopping around myself shortly. We have our cars and house with BelAir Direct but I'm questioning if they will even offer coverage on watercraft - I suspect it's something they will not be interested in.

Who's carrying what for coverage? Obviously liability is my primary concern, but how much extra should I anticipate for theft as well? Honestly, I'm more worried about someone stealing them from a provincial park parking lot, or heck, my driveway, versus anything else. Even they they are older machines, (97 and Y2K) will I be able to pay a bit extra for "replacement value" coverage so that they'll actually pay me the real street-value of replacing the machines/trailer if they are ever stolen, or will I be stuck with the depreciated value that insurance companies always want to pay which will basically pay out a pittance compared to what the actual replacement machines would cost?

I know little to nothing about watercraft insurance.. I'll call BelAir shortly and follow up on the results, just for the record.

Banned User
    +1
    I believe you can either insure them for market value, or an agreed upon value. Obviously you would pay a little more for it if you agree on a number thats slightly higher than the market value of the ski.

+1
    BelAir doesn't even offer PWC coverage, as I suspected. Boats, but not PWC.

So...aside from Lombard mentioned above, I'm interested to hear other options.

+1
    marine expert
    premier marine
    I have info on a few others I will add when I can dig it up.

+1
    Premier sucks! Expensive and dodgy theft policies.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    Premier sucks! Expensive and dodgy theft policies.
    That sucks. I was hoping their rates were better than Marine Expert. I put my info in at their website for my comparatively ancient machines and the quote was (IIRC) nearly $400/year per machine for liability only. WTF?

+1
    Marine experts was about $75 cheaper for the same quote on my machine compared to Premier. The money wasn't the real concern for me, but their policies regarding theft of the machine had me concerned enough to end my policy with them and go with another company. Basically, if your machine is not locked in a garage, it's not covered for theft. That's really unrealistic. Not everyone has a garage. Not to mention if you're out riding, and someone takes your trailer (it happens), yer screwed. Wanna take your ski on a camping trip or a roadtrip? Forget about it. When you're asking about insurance you should always ask about;

-are you covered for theft? Any conditions
    -are you covered for water ingestion? Maybe there's conditions here as well!
    -are you covered if you mod your ski? Most recent quote I received from a company refused to cover me because I added an air filter that "increased HP"
    -What waters can you ride in? Out of province and out of country riding differs with each company.

If I'm paying approx $500-$600 for insurance, they'd better do something to address these points. Otherwise I just won't pay insurance any more and hope for the best. I hate the idea of not having insurance, but I hate crooked insurance policies even more.

+1
    I've decided I'm just going to call a broker, tell them what I want for coverage, and let them do the shopping. I'll be sure to report back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information