1996 ZXI 900 cranks but no spark

I recently bought a ZXI 900. After cleaning the carbs and replacing the gas got it running. The next day I went out to start it and it turns over fine with a fully charged battery, but no spark. I moved and tapped on the kill switch, but still no spark. Any suggestions or common things to go wrong? How do I go about troubleshooting this problem? Thanks

Found the problem

Quote Originally Posted by dmassey88 View Post
    I recently bought a ZXI 900. After cleaning the carbs and replacing the gas got it running. The next day I went out to start it and it turns over fine with a fully charged battery, but no spark. I moved and tapped on the kill switch, but still no spark. Any suggestions or common things to go wrong? How do I go about troubleshooting this problem? Thanks
    I have to tell on myself here. The key was not working for the on/off switch so I rigged up a dpst switch to replace it. What I discovered is that the way I had it wired up was the problem. The red//red-white wire pair needs to be connected for the system to have power to start and run. The black//black-white pair needs to be open to run, but connected closed for the system to shut down. The solution I came up with is to use the switch on the red//red-white only. I will use the stop/kill switch to shut the system down. I couldnt see paying 90.00 for a new switch when this works just fine. I purchased a waterproof rocker switch from West Marine that will do the job...

+1
    What about the wrist lanyard???

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    What about the wrist lanyard???
    exactly this is fine for on the trailer see if it works fix but i would not dare take that in the water without a lanyard switch.

The lanyard switch still works as advertised, the on-off switch only serves to power the starting circuit to keep people from stealing it. When the lanyard comes off or the button is pushed, the ski stops running.

check the CDI box make sure its nice and lean inside & dry, then work you way from there with a test light

I got it running now, on another thread I am trying to troubleshoot the issue that it wont accelerate higher than 4000 rpm. the only thing I have not checked is the spark plugs firing and the carbs. I pulled them apart far enough to clean the inlet screens, but have not gone beyond that.

Thread Information