Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 rxp 255

2008 rxp 255

Hey guys,

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has put up with my million questions over the past few days. A week ago I knew nothing about Jet Skis and have managed to learn quite a bit about them in a week.

I wanted to hear what your guys thoughts are on the 2008 RXP 255? I know the earlier years there was that whole ceramic washer ordeal and a few other issues. How are the 08's? I am going to look at this ski Saturday and want to be able to spot issues or hear them.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/boa/2865986763.html The ski is $5,900 and the dual trailer is $750.

I have been looking at CL and other PWC trader sites and this is the best deal I have found to date. I have seen older and more expensive skis so I am anxious to say the least to look at this one and make sure all checks out.

+1
    Alot would depend on how badly the bottom is "scratched".

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but wouldn't think it would be that bad since it happened (so he says) at 2 hrs and has put 47 more hours on it since the event...

*edit* He said it fell off the trailer when pulling it out of the water but has put 47+ hours on it since then... hmm

I would leave it alone. Whos to say it wont split open at 48 hrs in the middle of the lake? Sometimes there are deals that are too good... You get what you pay for brotha...

Thanks for the reply. He sent me pictures and most of the "scratches" are very thin and can probably be buffed out with a buffer. There are a few pieces where it looks deep but he mentioned its not into the fiberglass. I am going to look at it and see first hand how bad it is. My ignorant mindset tells me if a ski can pound on the water at 70mph all day long and take jumps 15 feet into the air smacking down on the water, a small "opps" off the trailer at low speed shouldn't break anything. Who knows, we will find out tomorrow. $5,900 seems way cheap to not look at it.

+1
    Its is a good price, dependent upon condition.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Its is a good price, dependent upon condition.
    +1. Like mentioned before, who is to say the hull won't split later on. Fortunatly there hasn't been any reports of delamination issues with the 08s, at least none that I recal.
    Check real good for spider cracks around the scratches. I would also want to put it in the water and run it. That is realitively low hours for an 08 so you have to wonder how well he kept up with the fuel condition. I would smell the gas to see if it is stail too.
    Sounds like a great deal. Let us know what you find out.

If you decide to buy it, I would strongly recommend that you fix the bottom scratches ASAP, as they can turn quickly into major damage that is unrepairable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
    Thanks for the reply. He sent me pictures and most of the "scratches" are very thin and can probably be buffed out with a buffer. There are a few pieces where it looks deep but he mentioned its not into the fiberglass. I am going to look at it and see first hand how bad it is. My ignorant mindset tells me if a ski can pound on the water at 70mph all day long and take jumps 15 feet into the air smacking down on the water, a small "opps" off the trailer at low speed shouldn't break anything. Who knows, we will find out tomorrow. $5,900 seems way cheap to not look at it.
    Lets see the pics he sent you of where the damage is.

Got some great information. I called around locally to see how much it would be to repair. I was transferred to a shop locally where the seller is located and actually good friends with the guy I am buying the ski from! I talked to the guy for about 10 minutes and got some great information. The guy seemed real honest and provided more information than I would think seeing as he was friends with this guy. There are two scratches one near the side that isn't even in the water and another directly on the bottom. He mentioned the one on the side is nothing of concern. The one on the bottom he could see it potentially being an issue in the future (most of you have said that already). He said to redo the whole bottom and patch it up would be around $2,500. He also said I could bring it to a body shop and have them patch it up for a few hundred dollars. He told me there were no other issues created due to the drop ie skid plate, leaking, etc.

The bottom line looks to be I am going to have to see it first hand and determine if the ski + repairs will be worth it. I am still very interested but will have to make that assessment when I get there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information