please help first ski, and having issues

I just recently bought a 2003 yamaha xlt1200 it has a brand new motor in it with only 2 hours of running time (on land) with water running though. Well i am in the process of signing the paper work and have some concerns. Today was the first time i have dropped it and the first time it has seen water since the new engine. i started it up and let it warm up, this took a while it is a 2 stroke and seemed vey sluggish at first not topping over 14 mph. after 5 mins of cruising it picked up to 31. once it hit 32 the motor would bog out and it displayed EXHAUST on the screen. so i putted around a little longer and finally was able to reach the 50 and seemed like it had good throttle and pickup. after 15 minutes i went to bring it in and there was a small rope in the water about 12 inches i went over it with the throttle staying about 10 mph. well i got in on the trailer and washed it off and rinsed the water through the plug for about 5-10 mins with the engine off. well now when i try to start it up it won't. what could this be is the rope just a coincidence ? could this just be flooded? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scd2747 View Post
    well i got in on the trailer and washed it off and rinsed the water through the plug for about 5-10 mins with the engine off. well now when i try to start it up it won't. what could this be is the rope just a coincidence ? could this just be flooded? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
    You CAN NOT run water through the engine when it is OFF. Engine ON then water ON. Water OFF then engine OFF. You most likely flooded the engine with water backed up through the exhaust. If you want any chance of saving that motor you need to pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over to get all the water out. Then start it and run the crap out of it. It's now dark which means it's to late to ride it, but at the very least get it started run it. Then pour lots of oil down the cylinders and turn it over. Then run it first thing in the morning.

The bogging issue is most is probably cat related, but you have way bigger issues to deal with now.

I would do like Almost says. You need to get it back out on the water AFTER you get it running again. You need the oil to get into every part of the motor that the water did.

Yea, sounds like a clogged/bad cat. They are hella exspensive from Yamaha. I would replace with riva d-plate and chip, but then you have to tune the carbs

+1
    If you are still having trouble getting the water out and getting it started try this. take all the plugs out then take a long 1/4 extension or blunt screwdriver or even a long piece of threaded rod and put in the spark plug hole and push the piston all the way down then spray a good bit of wd40 in the spark plug hole. do every cylinder this way then put some shop towels over the open plug holes to keep from blowing the water mixed wd40 every were. then spin the motor with the starter for 10 to 15 seconds at a time so you dont over heat the starter. after this make sure the plugs are dry you can use a lighter to burn off moisture on the plug before installing them back in the head.
    Hope this helps

Thread Information