Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Changing Carbon seal

I'm getting ready to change my carbon seal before riding season here starts. I haven't ever had any problems with mine but since the ski has 200 hrs on it, I figure better be safe than sorry. So my question is, What all is necessary to change out other than the obvious carbon ring. And who all is running the bellow band and is it worth it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    I'm getting ready to change my carbon seal before riding season here starts. I haven't ever had any problems with mine but since the ski has 200 hrs on it, I figure better be safe than sorry. So my question is, What all is necessary to change out other than the obvious carbon ring. And who all is running the bellow band and is it worth it?
    If your changing out the carbon seal i would change out the accordian boot,hat,O-rings and C-clip,just makes sence.....As far as a bellow band???you wont need a bellow band with all this being new,the pressure on the carbon seal will be more than enough for awhile.....What i do is use rubber O-rings instead of the bellow band,way cheaper and does the same thing,when i assemble the seal unit i slide the O-rings on the back of the seal till needed then slide one on if warranted...

+1
    ok where do you get the rubber o rings and what size. What about the hose clamps, I was thinking new hose clamps might hold a little tighter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    ok where do you get the rubber o rings and what size. What about the hose clamps, I was thinking new hose clamps might hold a little tighter.

Hose clamps definatly,,You can get the O rings at most hardware stores,they are 2 1/2 inch diameter rubber O-rings....

+1
    The OEM clamps are pretty good.
    If they appear to be in good working order no need to replace, but that's your choice.
    Also I have replaced several hats and this part does not seem to wear.
    I measured a few used ones with a new one and they were identical. Jme
    The two parts that wear the most are carbon ring and accordion boot looses pressure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    The OEM clamps are pretty good.
    If they appear to be in good working order no need to replace, but that's your choice.
    Also I have replaced several hats and this part does not seem to wear.
    I measured a few used ones with a new one and they were identical. Jme
    The two parts that wear the most are carbon ring and accordion boot looses pressure.
    Steven is right,that hat doesn't wear much if any BUT i'm anal about my shit and being this can be an area of concern, if I replace the seal, i replace it all that way i know everything is new and good....Even the hose clamps as they can stretch over time..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Steven is right,that hat doesn't wear much if any BUT i'm anal about my shit and being this can be an area of concern, if I replace the seal, i replace it all that way i know everything is new and good....Even the hose clamps as they can stretch over time..
    Exactly how I am, I agree with the hose clamps too. Where's the best place to buy parts, riva just seems a little steep.

+1
    Carbon seal, boot, o rings, bellow band and clamps. I havent replaced the hat/collar either. Cut the old bellow band out with a utility knife or razor blade... Makes driveshaft removal easy and you are replacing it anyway.

I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned getting a new driveshaft "bumper or plug" and **C-CLIP**!!!!

Those c-clips WILL cause you to SINK if you don't replace it! I just bought 5 of them just so i can replace it anytime I pull the driveshaft!

Edit: and multiple driveshaft plugs since they tear everytime you yank the driveshaft out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned getting a new driveshaft "bumper or plug" and **C-CLIP**!!!!

Those c-clips WILL cause you to SINK if you don't replace it! I just bought 5 of them just so i can replace it anytime I pull the driveshaft!

Edit: and multiple driveshaft plugs since they tear everytime you yank the driveshaft out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    If your changing out the carbon seal i would change out the accordian boot,hat,O-rings and C-clip,.
    although i did forget the front bump stop...that is a wise move too...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information