Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    Lake Lanier, GA

How long is too long on a hitch??

I think I already know the answer to this but the b/f is concerned. So I thought I'd ask you guys---I have a '04 4 Runner with a 7,000lb towing capability and a 700lb tongue max. We're getting a double trailer and this double has a 1 7/8" coupler on the end. My ball is 2". So, I bought one of those 3-ball hitch things that slides right into my 2" square receiver (factory mounted). Here's the issue. It sticks out about 2" further than my oem hitch/ball. My b/f thinks this would put way too much stress on the hitch receiver with 2,000lbs of jetskis, etc. I disagree as I have seen people use hitch extenders when they have pick-ups with campers in the bed part, pulling horse trailers and such. Heck, I've seen hitch extenders as long as 48"! I do believe though when you do extend a hitch more than 10"-12" that is does reduce the towing limits..?? But I wouldn't think 2" would amount for anything unless I was actually pulling near the 7,000lb max.
    Any thoughts?

South Florida
    You're not going to have any problems. I have the same thing on my truck and have bee pulling my car hauler without any issues

i've also hauled cars before without issues that are at least double the load you are talking about. No worries

Shorewood, IL
    Remember, it's only 200 pounds of downward force (assuming a 2000# load and 10% tounge weight) actually pressing down on on the hitch. You're fine.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    Courtice, Ontario
    The lever effect only becomes an issue well beyond 2" of extension, especially with the extremely light tongue weight you are dealing with.

Although there is a legitimate concern with the super-long extensions that you see out there (many of which are not even designed for towing use, but that's another story), it only really becomes a concern when you're dealing with much heavier tongue weights, or trailers that use weight distributing hitches.

Hookup and go, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    Remember, it's only 200 pounds of downward force (assuming a 2000# load and 10% tounge weight) actually pressing down on on the hitch. You're fine.
    I Agree!

Thread Information