Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SBT piston with 2 other OEM Yamaha pistons??

Hey.

I got a 1200 non PV engine with the #3 piston and sleeve that needs replacing.

It had all three original 65U pistons in it.

I wanted to only replace#3, and not all three due to cost.

So my question is would it be OK to run one SBT piston with the other two 65u pistons?? What compression do the standard size SBT piston yield??

Also, what about an over-sized piston? Would I have to tune the carbs?? Or is it best to stick with standard bore? I do not want to tune.

Thanks.

+1
    I have seen a lot of blown engines with factory and mix-matched pistons and seems like the non stock cylinder and piston is usually the problem but not always. If it is stock and you are planning on keeping it and depending on it spend a few more dollars and match it back up stock. but if it is all SBT then go all SBT just seems to work better that way. what ever piston you use check the ring gap for the cylinder piston you use.

+1
    I wouldn't mismatch pistons. What if they are different weights? It sounds crank just waiting to go.

I was thinking about the weight differences as well. Cranks are balanced for a certain piston/rods. Im going to look around a little more.

Banned User
    +1
    Go with OEM and be done with it. Or replace all 3 so they all match.

+1
    I am not an expert by any means but after 2 different pistons blew within hours of each other and on an engines with 150 plus hours I replaced everything with matched pistons rings eye and much happier. You might get away with it but it won't do it again To expensive and frustrating in the long run.
    Pay me now or pay me later rings true

Yea, I may go ahead and get a 65U piston.. I would like to try and find a good used one that was removed when a top end was put in..

You guys think it will be OK to get the sleeve from SBT?? I would think it would be ok since it doesnt rotate with the assembly. Its cast iron just like the OEM ones.. Ports may be a little different, but I was going to port match all the sleeves any how, and chambfer them.

Anybody have any luck with the SBT sleeve???

Do you guys think I could get away with reusing the rings on cylinders 1 and 2?? They both had 120 psi before the tear down started.
    Or should I freshen up the bores with a light honing and give 1 and 2 new rings too??

Im trying to rebuild this for under $500 including machine work...
    Im doing all the labor.

Thanks a lot guys.

Has anyone at all had success by replacing just one piston?? With OEM or not.

+1
    Yes you can replace just 1 with OEM make sure the other 2 are OEM. And since you got it torn down It would be OK to put all new rings in it with light honing. Then the motor would be fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Yes you can replace just 1 with OEM make sure the other 2 are OEM. And since you got it torn down It would be OK to put all new rings in it with light honing. Then the motor would be fresh.
    Yep, others are 65U. Im just going to go ahead and replace it with OEM Yamaha. Might as well.

ANybody have luck with their sleeve?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information