How to bring a '89 650sx out of long term storage? (Stored 5+ years indoors)

Hi there.

Can anyone offer some advice on what I should do to bring the ski out of of storage?

The ski is completely stock and sat with some fuel in it which turned to varnish (maple syrup/amber color). I already pumped all the remaining old fuel out, rinsed the tank with fresh fuel and pumped that out as well. I also emptied the oil resevoir tank and replaced it with new oil. The fuel lines seem a bit rigid though. And I am concerned about lubrication of the cylinders/crankcase and at the driveshaft. I did NOT store the ski with pouring oil into the the cylinder heads (fogging) and turning it over a few times as recommended by the manual for long-term storage. All other hoses appear to be in great shape, no deterioration and reasonably flexible as expected. Steering cable and nozzle appear fine and operate freely.

Any advice on cleaning the carburetor without removing it? (Im not very mechanical) Should I spray carb cleaner in the cylinder heads and/or coat them with oil? Should I run a slight pre-mix in addition to the oil-injection for the first tank or so? Also, the driveshaft bearings/seal. Can they be lubricated externally? Or do they have to be removed. Any other thing I should do?

Bottom line, the ski has been babied and stored indoors. I don't want to damage it trying to crank it over and getting it started if there are some preventive measures I can take before doing so. As we all know, replacement parts would end up costing more than the entire ski is "technically" worth. Still hard to believe they are so cheap these days.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

+1
    In reality, you didn't baby the 'Ski at all, you abused it. The carbs MUST come off and be disassembled and rebuilt. I didn't know they had oil injection that early, but apparently, they did. Replace the hoses with polyurethane hose and make sure they're filled with oil prior to starting. Secure the hoses with stainless steel safety wire. Open the bleeder screw on the oil pump to get the air out of the supply line.

I'd recommend that you pour a couple of tablespoons down each spark plug hole, ground the spark plug wires, then crank the engine for a few seconds. You might also spray some fogging oil down the carb to lubricate the crank.

When you take the carbs off to overhaul them, remove the reed cages and look inside at the connecting rod bearings. They should be bright & shiny. If they're dull gray or rusty, they won't last. You can't tell much about the main bearings except by turning the engine over by hand and feeling for rough spots. Of course, you could have bad jet pump bearings and you can't tell the difference unless you disconnect the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    In reality, you didn't baby the 'Ski at all, you abused it. The carbs MUST come off and be disassembled and rebuilt. I didn't know they had oil injection that early, but apparently, they did. Replace the hoses with polyurethane hose and make sure they're filled with oil prior to starting. Secure the hoses with stainless steel safety wire. Open the bleeder screw on the oil pump to get the air out of the supply line.

I'd recommend that you pour a couple of tablespoons down each spark plug hole, ground the spark plug wires, then crank the engine for a few seconds. You might also spray some fogging oil down the carb to lubricate the crank.

When you take the carbs off to overhaul them, remove the reed cages and look inside at the connecting rod bearings. They should be bright & shiny. If they're dull gray or rusty, they won't last. You can't tell much about the main bearings except by turning the engine over by hand and feeling for rough spots. Of course, you could have bad jet pump bearings and you can't tell the difference unless you disconnect the pump.

Thank you Steve for your advice. You're right about the abuse as far as the fuel system situation, but honestly, other than a couple tiny scratches on the handle pole, the ski looks brand new inside and out. You mention turning the engine over by hand. How is that done? Also, I read somewhere (and now I forgot where) there is is a rubber driveshaft coupler (that hold the bearings??? if I remember right) that is prone to failure from deterioration. Where would I find that on the ski and what does it look like?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

+1
    There is a coupling at the back of the engine, which you can turn by hand. There is probably a cover over it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    There is a coupling at the back of the engine, which you can turn by hand. There is probably a cover over it.
    Thank you Steve. =)

Thread Information