Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Two oil lines on bottom half of 787 engine

Yesterday I pulled a freeze cracked 787 out of one of my two recently purchased 1996 XPs. There were two oil hoses attached to the lower end of the engine that came from the oil tank. The PO converted the skis to premix. Obviously the engine's bottom end must need this lubricating oil. I've looked through my PDF manuals that I got online and I can't find anything that talks about these hoses and the oil that comes into the engine. I haven't seen anything in my Clymer manual either but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Can someone educate me a little on this, please?

+1
    Those lines feed oil to the rotary valve gear. Even if you go premix you must have a oil bath for the rotary shaft to ride in.

+1
    Yes, I was pretty sure the PO left them there for a good reason. They'll stay on for sure. I just need to figure out why the lower outlet fitting on the oil tank is leaking. The PO siliconed it up like crazy but he wasn't successful.

+1
    Another question: what keeps the entire oil tank from emptying into the lower case of the engine?

+1
    The inner crank seals seal the rotary shaft housing off from the individual cylinder halves. If your inner crank seals leak thats exactly what happens- cylinders flood with oil

+1
    Silicone wont work for a repair of the oil tank. You can buy a new rubber grommet or find another container you can put in there. I repaired mine but I have access to PRC. Its the sealant that is used to seal aircraft fuel tanks...

This was taken out of my restoration thread of my 2000 XPL.

After I had installed everything and sat on the seat making engine noises I decided to open up the hood to check things out. I found that a quart of the 2 stroke oil had leaked into the hull. After cursing and yelling for awhile I used my old shop vac and a bunch of rags and got it all cleaned up. I was to mad to take any pics of that.

I emptied what was left of the oil and took the tank with me to work. I cleaned it up and tried to pressurize it to 3psi like the manual states but I found a leak.

I took the tank apart and sealed it back up using the same sealant that is used to seal up airplane fuel tanks. I put the sealant on the rubber grommet and installed that in the tank then I put sealant around outlet and pushed it through the grommet into the tank. I then turned the knob on my pump and created a vacuum inside the tank causing the sealant to get sucked into all the nooks a crannies.

I know its not the prettiest repair, but it held 3 psi for over an hour after the sealant cured. I put it back in the ski and refilled with oil. Now I am ready for that test ride. If everything goes smooth on the initial splash I will polish the hull and order a new seat cover. Till then...

+1
    Nice seal work, Alpheus! I'm sure that's not going to leak.

Years ago when I was in the active duty USAF, one of my two aluminum gas tanks in my Sanger Runnerbottom drag boat sprung a leak where a metal mounting strap had eaten a small hole through. My buddy was a crew chief and brought home some outdated, aircraft fuel tank sealer. It was an ugly brown color but it sealed that leak right up and the tank hasn't leaked a drop to this day!

+1
    Let me look around the hangar today. If i find an outdated prc kit ill send it to you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    Let me look around the hangar today. If i find an outdated prc kit ill send it to you.
    That would be wonderful. Let me know if you find any.

+1
    I found some that expired 2 days ago. I will send it to you PM me your address. When you get the kit Follow THESE instructions to mix. Use the included (smelly) adhesive promoter to clean all the sealing services first. Wear latex gloves and you can use rubbing or Isopropyl alcohol to clean the sealant from unwanted areas. It will start to cure in 15 minutes. Let cure overnight before use...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information