2001 and 2004 Yamaha 1200 SUV Primer pump question

I tried pulling my frozen fuel selector off yesterday to either replace or clean it and ended up breaking off the screw in the top of the selector knob. I have a "back-out" kit that I'll try later today but I started thinking that I may just take the fuel selector out of play entirely and just go straight to the carb. If I do this:

1. Will the ski just dismiss the fact that it has a reserve and keep sipping fuel till it is gone (I also want to extend the reach of the intake tubes down in the tank (as suggested on another post)?

2. I want to fill the new hole where the fuel selector used to be with a primer from SBT. It would be my understanding that if I take the line that exits the fuel filter and put about a 1' line there...loop it down and then into the intake side of the primer...then connect the other side of the primer "T" to the carb line that this will allow a good measure of fuel to be primed up into the tube sitting ahead of the carb.

Since I'm doing this on 2 skis I have to get this right the first time or my buddy might seek other free help! And I am NOT willing to buy my own beer!

+1
    Tee the primer into the return line. Its a safer way to avoid fuel flow problems into the carbs and causing a lean meltdown. Buying a nice long hose to replace the return hose will allow you to make a big loop for fuel to collect in and allow the primer to work better. However it will also work without making a big loop.

+1
    Only if you use the reserve line will the boat "sip" fuel till its gone. HOWEVER, if you are going to use the reserve line, pull the fuel assembly out of the tank and check the length of the reserve line. EVERY one I have pull had the reserve line pressing tight against the bottom of the fuel pod assembly bottom plate, restricting flow. It is like the plastic lines "grew" due to additives or ethanol in the fuel.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Hmmmm, pulled the engine, exhaust and fuel tank out of the SUV and there was no extra fuel line on the fuel sending unit (the 18" long or so plastic assembly under the "return, RES, and ON" lines). My assumption is that the SUV has a slightly different configuration in the 18+ gallon tank than what you are used to LT1GMC???

+1
    That sounds like the same assembly. Inside that plastic canister is the main "on" line, and the longer "reserve" line. Check to see that the longer "reserve" line is not touching the bottom of the assembly and blocking entry of fuel into it. You can connect the reserve line then to the "out" line of the fuel switch, the line that goes to the carbs. That way you will pick up fuel thru only the reserve line, and it will run till empty. Plug the old "on line coming off the canister. You will not have a switch in the system. You will still get a low fuel buzzer and warning on the speedo panel when the fuel is low. Look up the "how to" on the fuel flapper removal to see pics of the inside of the canister.

+1
    I run the reserve line straight from the sending unit to the carbs, and use the "on" or main for the primer feed, by-passing the switch completely... that way you dont have to crank, crank, crank to get fuel from the return line for primer

Thanks for the ideas folks. I think I'll try your idea first WFO.

Thread Information