Thread: PWC Sales Info

+1

PWC Sales Info

The first half 2005 boat sales just came out. New boat sales were down across the board with the exception of PWC. The PWC market rose 7.4% in the last quarter and is currently the bright spot for the industry. BRP had 41.5 % of the market, Yamaha 35.2%, Kawasaki 10.9%, Honda 8.4% and Polaris (selling leftovers) 4%.

BRP is still the leader but they are the only one of the big 4 who lost market share compared to a year ago. They lost 1.3%. Yammi gained 39.8%, Kawasaki +8.1% and Honda +22.8%. The first 6 months of 2005 saw a grand total of 43,791 skis sold. Not bad considering this was only in the time period from Jan 1 to June 30. Not even the prime summer selling season.

The way sales are going for Yamaha, it seems that they will overtake SD in the not too distant future. BRP had better wake up and fix the problems with their boats mid year instead of waiting for the new models to address the issues. A lot of SD owners are not happy with the treatment given them by their dealers and by BRP. I cringe when I think of the problems the 3D is going to have with the 951 in it.

Richard

+1
    Bombardier will take back some market next year with the GTI.
    The average buyer has no clue about clutches or grenading 951's.
    Yami gained market share on the back of the VX 110 and Honda has to gain because they are still introducing thier machines to new markets.
    They certainly do need to get thier shit together with customer service.
    I used to work at a platinum dealer and a 3 week wait for your machine to be looked at is not good service. There is nothing special about what they do.

+1
    Richard the DI is a VERY nice engine. It is by far the the best 951 and has very little to no issue's.
    XPDI owner.

+1
    Water4fire; The 951 engines have water injestion problems and are prone to internal corrosion. The 3D engine compartment had better be well sealed because most riders will be doing subs, tricks and wave jumping. Pushing 130 hp out of a 2 cylinder small cc engine was always asking a lot. Longevity was never this engines forte. Only time will tell but I think owners will have a lot of problems with this combo especially if used in salt water.

Richard

+1
    The 951 DI is not nearly as bad as the the carbed version.
    We would see lots of pooched 951's but rarely the DI.
    Up here we wouldn't see the volume of machines that you would in the states though.

sea doo sales

Richard, I had the misfortune of buying one of the very first 951's (97 1/2 GSXL) and had 4 complete engine rebuilds before I had 20 hrs on the ski. All under warranty but a pain to be stranded with blown engine. After the 4th rebuild I took off the recently recalled replacement air intake and put on a K&N and got over 200 hrs on the engine(white block). I was told that was incredible(the 200 hrs). Just thought I'd comment.

+1
    Since SD's warranty excludes "water injestion" related engine failures, I wonder if there will be any unhappy 3D owners by the end of next summer. Like I said before, only time will tell.

Richard

The majority of the old water ingestion issues that you speak of, do not apply to the 951 DI. Just the carb'd version. And even with the older carbed versions, there are fixes available that make them nearly bullet proof (as far as water ingestion is concerned).

I do agree that asking a 2 cyl 951cc engine to push out 130 hp does effect the overall longevity of the engine. But not terribly so. My brother has a pair of 02 RXDI's that have over 250 hours on each of them and still running strong. The only problem he had on one of them was water intrusion in the jet pump.

As far as the warranty is concerned, if you can prove that a defective part on the engine caused the water ingestion, then you could force them to honor the warranty. The trouble is proving it.

You can also add if the leak come from the hull SeaDoo will have to honor the Warranty. If there's issues with this unit SeaDoo will step up they will do anything to make this platform work and I think they will get it.

Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!! SuperCharged/IC's Avatar
    +1
    The biggest water injestion culprit was the joint between the exhaust manifold and pipe. Sea-doo finally did update that area and water injestion was no more common with the 951 than any other sea-doo. I had a '98 and noticed water droplets on the carbs. Dealer had no clue. Finally took the exhaust and manifold off and had each milled. No more water droplets after that. I had 5 951s and none of them gave me any problems. Fact is, other than the material used for the seat covers, I had no warranty claims on 2 GSXs and 3 RXs.

Thread Information