Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

4 Stroke Engine life span

How long are the engines lasting ? how long are the NA engines lasting compared too the blown ones ?.
    We use second hand skis as donors for little boats and sometimes a cheap ski maybe nearing the end of its life span. Ive also heard the pump bearings can fail and load up the crank shaft causing the engine too handgrenade

Feel free too share all your horror stories

Banned User
    +1
    feel free to use the search

+1
    I've seen a few going 650+ and still going strong.

+1
    I asked that question to a guy with a fleet of rentals. He said after 1000 hours most of the trouble free use is gone. But he has some with 1500 hours and still going.
    It seems the rest of the ski lays down on rentals as quick as the motor does, crashed and beat up, bottoms wear out from beaching, pumps shot.

Sure a Yam VX/FX will do 1000+ hrs if looked after right with no major surgery.

But how many hours will you get out of the 1500cc Kwak lump with a blower???

Who has 100+ hrs hassel free? I have around 60hrs on my 2008 250x and have had to strip clean the salty charger once (my error), but I know of a 250x with 50hrs and has 2 engine rebuilds, one with 40 somthing and a burnt hole through a piston.....

I do feel like I ride a time bomb, i fog the charger now, have done 2011 pump mod, removed SC belt cover and replaced pulleys with rogue, change my oil every 10hrs, and I bet I still get got by a cracked head sooner or later

Great info, Id be interested to find out weather the rental skis were gouverned or running taller blades to keep revs down and increase the lifespan of the motors.
    To me reliability is far more important the all out power . Please keep the replies comming and also anything to look for in second hand skis that may be a sign of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kwakmat View Post
    Sure a Yam VX/FX will do 1000+ hrs if looked after right with no major surgery.

But how many hours will you get out of the 1500cc Kwak lump with a blower???

Who has 100+ hrs hassel free? I have around 60hrs on my 2008 250x and have had to strip clean the salty charger once (my error), but I know of a 250x with 50hrs and has 2 engine rebuilds, one with 40 somthing and a burnt hole through a piston.....

I do feel like I ride a time bomb, i fog the charger now, have done 2011 pump mod, removed SC belt cover and replaced pulleys with rogue, change my oil every 10hrs, and I bet I still get got by a cracked head sooner or later

This has what has kept me from adding a 300 to my little fleet of boats. Well, that, and it takes up to much of the swim platform. No time to wrench, and any time spent not riding when I could be would really piss me off. That said, I could really use a big water cruiser for this summer.

To answe the OP, I have two Kawasaki stand ups with over 500 hrs each, and my old xp went over 700 before needing a replacement last year.

I have found things like hoses, electrical parts, and fuel lines wear out and cause issues before major engine issues occur.

To the OP, sorry the stand ups and the xp are 2 strokes. I put 130 trouble free hours in 4 months this past summer on a 4 stroke, but that isn't really longevity.

As I mentionted, check ou the fuel lines. Once they start to fail, the little bits find their way into the engine and can cause all sorts of trouble.

+1
    Mohawk1- My 15f has 183hrs on it, 'mostly' getting raped at full throttle. It is by no means anywhere near the 15f with the most hours on it, but from the beating i tend to give it (it's starting to feel very very slow) and from the research i did when I was purchasing, the N/A motor appears to be very reliable with few issues and should last a long time.

How much power do you need in a little boat?

I did hear of a 300X the other day that has over 100hrs with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by no_more_rice View Post
    Minimum 500 h according to mr john belton
    Yes. A good running recreational Ski "should" be able to provide 500 hours of service without major issues IMO. Add racing, artificial aspiration, alot of RPM; these types of things will drive the usable service life down. For those that ride alot, like every weekend, I think having two Skis is the way to go. One NA and other one SC. The NA should be the workhorse of the two. It is possible to enjoy riding / gain effective training on a slower Ski.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information