NEWBIE Polaris msc140

I have just purchased my first ski a Polaris msx140 and have a few questions

Is it normal to have water in bilge after use?

When removing ski from water how much water am I expecting to come out of bilge after i have removed plugs from rear of ski?

Does the ski pump out any water getting into this area during use ?

Thanks in advance am new to this so trying to pick the brains of u guys who have been in the game and have learnt by experience again thanks

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk, Your going to love that ski and it's ride. Normally with everything perfect,there should be no water in the hull, but things get old and wear out. The most common place is water leaking thru the driveshaft seal. The MSX's had a assy mistake when most were built with a driveshaft seal installed wrong. Here is a link to some info. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58842 You can normally locate a leak in the ski with it backed into the water and stapped to the trailer tightly, First do it with the ski off, then start the ski and watch for water. If the MSX 140 doesn't have a bilge pump, then it will have 2 hoses that run down into the bottom of the hull near the driveshaft, they run up to a 90 degree plastic elbow then down to the pump outlet, this is a siphon style system for removing water, the mesh screens on the pick-up end can get clogged,also the plastic elbows have a small hole in them that have to be open to prevent water from back flowing.
    Here's some more links to info to learn more about your ski
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....jected-engines

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Welcome to the hulk, Your going to love that ski and it's ride. Normally with everything perfect,there should be no water in the hull, but things get old and wear out. The most common place is water leaking thru the driveshaft seal. The MSX's had a assy mistake when most were built with a driveshaft seal installed wrong. Here is a link to some info. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58842 You can normally locate a leak in the ski with it backed into the water and stapped to the trailer tightly, First do it with the ski (i think he meant SEAT) off, then start the ski and watch for water. If the MSX 140 doesn't have a bilge pump, then it will have 2 hoses that run down into the bottom of the hull near the driveshaft, they run up to a 90 degree plastic elbow then down to the pump outlet, this is a siphon style system for removing water, the mesh screens on the pick-up end can get clogged,also the plastic elbows have a small hole in them that have to be open to prevent water from back flowing.
    Here's some more links to info to learn more about your ski
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....jected-engines

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/
    +1 Welcome to the Hulk! See RED Above^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the Hulk!

+1
    Yes with seat off, but first check it not running, easier to see a major leak/drip without water hitting you if it's bad.

Yeh thanks again ... Put her in the water today and removed plate over hull/drive shaft bearing and housing and can see water is entering from the shaft or the inner of bearing/seal

Next question do I need to just buy the bearing repair kit to fix this problem or the housing aswell?
    And for other threads I've followed up on a shaft removal tool I need also is this correct?

Again thank in advance as a newcomer to the game of jetski action this is a huge help and is appreciated ..
    Last edited by OZZI77; 02-27-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Mispelling

+1
    You can just do the bearing kit if you are up to it mechanically. And the removal tool is the way to go. When you pull the shaft, look it over closely for wear on it where the seals ride,if there are noticable with rubbing a thumbnail across it, then I would try and polish it out if not real bad.

Hey guys am installing new bearing and seal kit tommorow any hints or tips before I start dismantling ?

G'day, have searched but kind find a step by step removal guide as such e.g what and how to remove and at what stages to replace the bearing through hull , had some spare time to today and had a quick look for a plan of attack, am I right in saying that the 4 bolts on the inside of hull holding jet pump assembly ( if that's what we call it) are to one out and remove then pump exposing the shaft .. Then removal of the shaft then through bearing assembly and rebuild .. I hope this makes sense and if these steps are not correct please HELP haha cheers again thanking you guys in advance

Thread Information