Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting ready for summer rear air and other questions

I was wondering how sensitive the rear air intakes for the RXT's are? I have a 4" front intake, but it takes air from the engine compartment. It seems like this would be a logical update for cool fresh air. I do jumpo waves out on the ocean there is alot of spray. I dont normally stab the rear its a pretty big three seater to try that. My friends spray me alot when we are goofind off, but just normal spray. I also carry a passenger quite a bit. Can you still ride on the seat with this mod? I also was thinking what about taking air from the storage compartment? Has anyone tried this? What about Flo Rites are they a big difference? I have an X Charger 42 Lbs injectors 4" front air R&D intake grate and a Solas 14/19 prop. The ski runs great right around 70 -71 best at 8160. I want to do a few more upgrades to my 06 RXT. I was looking at maybe an 1. external intercooler from JFizzle 2. Rear intake setup from Riva I think 3. Speedfreaks pump setback I think he described it as setback on the prop in the pump 4. Speedfreaks ride plate mod and then finally I would get speedfreaks to pitch my prop unless the 14/19 wasnt enough. Even without the rear air setup I was hoping to get 2-3 Mph, Does this seem reasonable? Is there anything I am missing that I should consider? I know with the external intercooler I will also need a RRFPR but thats it right? It is still winter up here in Maine, but I am trying to plan ahead.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    I was wondering how sensitive the rear air intakes for the RXT's are? I have a 4" front intake, but it takes air from the engine compartment. It seems like this would be a logical update for cool fresh air. I do jumpo waves out on the ocean there is alot of spray. I dont normally stab the rear its a pretty big three seater to try that. My friends spray me alot when we are goofind off, but just normal spray. I also carry a passenger quite a bit. Can you still ride on the seat with this mod? I also was thinking what about taking air from the storage compartment? Has anyone tried this? What about Flo Rites are they a big difference? Any time you can get the hot air out of the engine bay it is a good thing...We use bilge bloweres to pull cool air in while using the flow rites to let it out..I have an X Charger 42 Lbs injectors 4" front air R&D intake grate and a Solas 14/19 prop. The ski runs great right around 70 -71 best at 8160. I want to do a few more upgrades to my 06 RXT. I was looking at maybe an 1. external intercooler from JFizzle 2. Rear intake setup from Riva I think 3. Speedfreaks pump setback I think he described it as setback on the prop in the pump Exactly,he takes off the back of the hub to bring the prop closer to the stater vanes.. 4. Speedfreaks ride plate mod and then finally I would get speedfreaks to pitch my prop unless the 14/19 wasnt enough. Even without the rear air setup I was hoping to get 2-3 Mph, Does this seem reasonable? Yes this seems very reasonableIs there anything I am missing that I should consider? I know with the external intercooler I will also need a RRFPR but thats it right? CorrectIt is still winter up here in Maine, but I am trying to plan ahead.
    IMO i would leave the front air alone seeing the conditions you like to ride/play in...Also i would invest in a AFR setup of some kind,being your in Maine,temps can fluctuate and cause your ski to be lean in the cooler months and richer in the summer months...And if you have no way of knowing what they are,you could potentially mess your motor up..When replacing the ride plate either be very careful when taking the plastic fittings off as they can and do break,and then just make sure you seal the plate real good when re-installing it..Also while you are taking the pump out i would check your carbon seal,i dont know when or if you have ever replaced it but being an 06 im sure you have some time on it...

Thanks Snoman I had some issues with the ski last year. One of my fittings on the rideplate loosened up. I was lucky I got in there with a pair of waterpump pliers and tightened it, but I was loosing a bit of coolant until I tightened it. I also did something to the head. I was wide open across the rough. Probably about 2 foot chop. Next thing I know the motor shuts off. I pull over and check no compression in the middle cylinder. I pulled the head expecting to find a hole in the piston, but it looked perfect. The gasket looked perfect. I couldnt find anything wrong until I poured some fuel in the intake and exhaust runners to check the valve seats. They leaked horribly. I have not had a chance to see why, but I suspect it was valve stems or guides. If I tap them on the valve face they close up and seat. Keep in mind this was supposed to be a brand new motor from Seadoo when I bought it 1 year and 2 months after it blew up. I know this because the warranty expired 2 months before it blew and they wouldnt cover it. I got a used head from someone on this site and its running fine now. Anyway I am hoping to go a bit faster and be trouble free this year LOL I think 73-74 with those mods might be dooable. One friend just got a 260 RXTX last year and he is unhappy that after getting rid of the limiter I can still go by him. He does about 70 I can just barely get by, but I do LOL. Now this year one friend bought a new 2011 300 Kawasaki and my other friend just put money down on a 2012 Yamaha three seater cruiser I think. So I am sure they will take the limniters off. I just need to stay ahead of them for one mroe year

Looking at second Gen external intercooler from Jfizzle I cant wait to get wrenching on this ski for this year woohoo

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    Looking at second Gen external intercooler from Jfizzle I cant wait to get wrenching on this ski for this year woohoo

What are ya waiting for???Ive been wrenching all winter on mine....Just finished putting a new pump shoe in mine...time to finish putting her back together..lol

He doesnt have them ready yet i am hoping soon need some parts to get started and for testing i am hoping the lales will unfreeze hehe

+1
    I have the rear air and I was thinking of cutting it down past the cowl so I could loose a little bit of suction from the rear intake filter assembly, which the Riva rear air attaches to. That way I can rear stab without much worry of water intrusion and still keep the Riva rear air filter mounted. This way it could stop allowing water to get through due to not much suction of the actual rear air intake tube. What y'all think? I would put a few more flo-rites as well to allow for a bit more air passage.

+1
    What u guys think? Bc once I cut it, there's no going back!
    Does anyone run with a cai without a filter?
    After I cut the rear air down, I wanted something to cover up the rear air inlet for debri

+1
    Dont cut it...leave it snug up against the cowl.once you cut it below the cowl now you defeat the purpose of the rear air as you will be sucking in the warm engine bay air...If your worried about getting water in the intake from wave jumping/stabbing the rear of the ski then go with a 4 inch front...

Has anyone tried doing something with the front storage compartment?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information