1999 Polaris SLTX Oil Pump Question???Please Help!!!!

I have a 99' Polaris sltx and was wondering when the jetski is off ,will the oil pump still pump oil if you manually move the oil pump lever up and down....I pulled off the oil lines going to the carb to see if oil is still pumping.........or does the engine have to be running????the reason I ask is because yesterday I took my jetski out to the lake to break in new pistons installed...filled up the oil tank but after an hour of riding I checked the oil level and it still was full.....luckily for me Im running premix for the break-in so it didnt hurt the pistons........I checked the oil filter and its not clogged.....im thinking the oil pump went out??

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    No, the lever just changes the flow rate. The engine needs to be spinning to pump oil. I would recommend bleeding the lines and checking the pump further before calling it dead. It is rare they failed. If you took the stator cover off, did you re-install the pump adapter that connects the crank to the pump?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The amount of oil you use is very low, you would not even notice a difference after running a single tank thru it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    No, the lever just changes the flow rate. The engine needs to be spinning to pump oil. I would recommend bleeding the lines and checking the pump further before calling it dead. It is rare they failed. If you took the stator cover off, did you re-install the pump adapter that connects the crank to the pump?
    Yes I reinstalled the pump adapter.....gonna bleed the lines in a few minutes and head out to the lake with some tools and see if I can remedy the problem if not im just gonna buy the oil pump block off plate kit and run premix......

Banned User
    +1
    If you have premix in the tank, pull an oil line off a carb while its running and pull the oil pump lever to full flow. See if oil is coming out of the line. Check the check valves where the lines connect to the carb. You should be able to make it pop just by blowing hard into it. If it doesn't pop there you may have an issue with the check valve.

Thread Information