Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool jet drive powered board - wakeboard with an engine

I came across this awesome little thing called a jet surf, a short carbonfiber surfboard that has a jet drive powered by a 86cc 2 stroke. goes about 35mph

downside is they're illegal or something in the us, basically impossible to get here, so I was wondering if it'd be possible to make one with an rc boat engine and jet ski jet drive.
    your thoughts or comments? anybody wanna help?

+1
    theres two kids on the chain that have older ones, they have waterway stickers? i dont know why you couldnt get them, unless its a emissions thing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaDoolvr View Post
    I came across this awesome little thing called a jet surf, a short carbonfiber surfboard that has a jet drive powered by a 86cc 2 stroke. goes about 35mph

downside is they're illegal or something in the us, basically impossible to get here, so I was wondering if it'd be possible to make one with an rc boat engine and jet ski jet drive.
    your thoughts or comments? anybody wanna help?
    That looks awesome! Bet it takes some practice to get good on one though.

Quote Originally Posted by warner0308 View Post
    theres two kids on the chain that have older ones, they have waterway stickers? i dont know why you couldnt get them, unless its a emissions thing.
    I've read(link below) that new regs start in 2012 for 2-stroke powered watercraft, which is why Kawi & Yamaha are getting out of the stand-up business. It seems prior year models are grandfathered in though, so it's still possible to register them. I've tried researching it a little but haven't found anything pointing me to the actual regulations, so I'm not sure what the real story is. There's plenty of aftermarket builders still selling 2-strokes, so I'm not sure what's what...or if they can only be sold "for competetion use only".
    http://www.personalwatercraft.com/fe...n-era-982.html

Yeah I've found some info on the company that makes them and it is some emissions thing that keeps them from exporting to the US (its such a damn shame)
    but there's another company, powerski, here in the US that makes a surfboard type thing with a 2 stroke engine
    It so much heavier and less portable though

+1
    Definately ashame. Never thought we'd see the day when we have stricter emissions regs than the EU. I'd love to see under the hood of that Jet-surf. Even with a motor that small, it's gotta be a pretty innovative design to cram a motor, jet drive & fuel tank into something that slim. Not to mention getting enough power out of it to go 35mph. I remember watching an episode of "American Restoration" where they restored a thing resembling the surf board you posted. If I remember right it was a model that was sold back in the 60's. It was huge though...about the length of a longboard & real thick. It ran off a little 2-stroke but only had enough power to put-put around.

Here's a page from their site (jet-surf.com) with videos that make up a manual on how to use the board
    http://www.jet-surf.com/en/support.php

I just found these JET-SURF boards. O M G this is ME on snow... but ON WATER help me I might just DIE now after reading and reading and reading about trying to get one, and then DAUH...... reality smacks me in the face with the 2 cycle emissions Clean Water Act.

Damnit.

OK, so here is another option.... what if someone made them with Brushless motors and they were a sealed (warter tight) unit running on LIPO or LIFe batteries ? Perfectly Legal. Of course not really good for saltwater, but I'm sure a big disclaimer on them saying NOT FOR OCEAN USE would fix that.

Anyone interested ? I'm serious. Have the knowledge and ability to make this happen.... and hopefully for LESS than the ten grand price for their base model.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveESPI View Post

Anyone interested ? I'm serious. Have the knowledge and ability to make this happen.... and hopefully for LESS than the ten grand price for their base model.
    How long would it realistically last on a charge? while going 30mph? considering it would have to be around 40 lbs and about the size of a wakeboard that really limits how much battery you could fit in it

WIth the high power LIPO and LiFe or Li batteries we have now, it could easily be an equal weight as the engine, starter, and gasoline once eleminated from the hull. I've been back and forth a few times with the company that makes the Jetsurf, trying to get a board without a motor and electrics in it so I can do some hands on experementing. The only reason that JetSurf has not done a battery one is because a fear of the saltwater ruining it. I managed a hobby shop and was the tech Guru for a few years. There are a lot of companies now that make superb large scale RC and real life application Brushless motors that put out insane amounts of torque and power. The only hang up is modifying an ESC with an incorporated trigger throttle instead of a wire cable that goes to a carb.

+1
    Surfjets were around thru the 80's and early 90's and can still be found for reasonable prices. The newer ones are built by Deckjet Watercraft...Surfango. Stand up version or get a powered kayak! 4 strokes. http://www.deckjetwatercraft.com/surfango/default.asp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information