Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Is it a bird? Is it a plane? RXPX's Avatar

Exclamation 08 RXT-X Petrol in Oil? Dead Oil Sensor

On the weekend my ski was in the water for about 5 minutes before the Oil warning came up on the dash and started limping (i hope to god it was the ECU limping).

Stopped, checked oil and it seemed to have alot more than after the last service. Disturbingly the oil smelled alot more like petrol than oil.

Seems like the oil pressure sensor might have failed but what is with the petrol smell in the oil? Only use seadoo oil and only have basic riva mods, nothing done to the power train.

Took it straight to the mechanic in the hopes of a quick, same day fix. He changed the oil completely and the spark plugs. This had no effect on the problem. Weirdly the spark plug from cylinder #1 was nowhere near as discolored or black as the other 2 suggesting the cylinder has been running lean. The ski did drink a little salt water on one fateful day in the surf over 50 hours ago...?

The ski is back at the mechanic today and he's going to check the sensor and wiring from it. If the sensor or wiring isn't faulty then I'm going to very poor soon I think.

What does everyone think about all this? Are they unrelated little problems or all symptoms of something much bigger and worse? How worried should I be and what the hell should I do?

Thanks from Australia

+1
    Think you have 2 problems

Petrol in oil is either going to be caused by running quite rich or faulty injector

Oil pressure problem could be oil pressure sensor, pressure regulator or oil pumps.

Have you done a compression test?

I was told the pressure sensor needs removing to do a compression test. The mechanic is doing it now. If the sensor is faulty then he won't bother doing the test.

Its just weird that the first time I have any problems with the ski (97 hours BTW) there seem to all of a sudden be several strange things going on.

The two normal spark plugs didn't indicate that the engine was running any richer than it should be.

I hope it runs well enough with a new sensor so I can sell it and get my 2012 PX.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPX View Post
    I was told the pressure sensor needs removing to do a compression test. The mechanic is doing it now. If the sensor is faulty then he won't bother doing the test.

Its just weird that the first time I have any problems with the ski (97 hours BTW) there seem to all of a sudden be several strange things going on.

The two normal spark plugs didn't indicate that the engine was running any richer than it should be.

I hope it runs well enough with a new sensor so I can sell it and get my 2012 PX.
    Normall colour for sparkplus on the x boats is a light brown colour, a comp and leak down test will show what cylinder health you have. The oil press sensors on the X boats are a known problem, but that would not cause GIO (gas in oil) issues.

It is possible that the water ingestion caused damage to the rings which in turn could cause the GIO...

Im sure it will be something simple, Im assuming you have had the craft from new and its never had a SCer fail??? If the SC had gone and the engine had eaten the washers it will have damaged the oil pumps. If they were not replaced then it would cause issues, I dont think this is your problem tho.

R88

Sounds like no 1 injector might be stuck open. Pull your injectors and have them checked.

Thanks R88 I really hope its not the rings.

And thanks WangaRXP, that's actually exactly what I was thinking. It would explain the gas in the oil and one spark plug being much lighter in color.

Hopefully its just that and a faulty oil pressure sensor, that's about the cheapest scenario I can think of anyway. The worst would be ruined rings and a dead oil pump. Fingers crossed

+1
    Lighter in colour would indicate leaner not richer, black and sooty would be richer.

As I said, light brown is normal. Get the comp checked, and have a leak down test performed on all three. Injectors could faulty, but from what you have said it sounds like you have one cylinder running normal and the other two different, can you post a pic of the plugs????

I bet the oil message is a faulty sensor, GIO could be a few things, I take it your not running openloop cooling???

R88

If its the injector No. 1 is stuck open the spark plug wont be black it should be alot cleaner and wet after a run cause it wont be firing!.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WangaRXP View Post
    If its the injector No. 1 is stuck open the spark plug wont be black it should be alot cleaner and wet after a run cause it wont be firing!.
    If it was not firing it would running like a bag of shit, shaking like shit and be very low on power. He hasnt mentioned any of that, trust me, if a cylinder is running rich for what ever reason it will be black.

Im not going to argue, I have given the guy some advice, if he wants to use it, great if not then its no skin off my nose.

R88

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information