Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

No Oil on one output line (to center)

I changed the oil output lines from the pump to carbs as part of my Carb/fuel pump/selector switch/fuel line job. I cranked the engine and am only getting oil out of two of the output lines. I spoke with Zig and am planning to bleed the pump and start the ski and check for oil output.
    has anyone else ever had one line with no oil to the carbs? I only had the old lines off one at a time while I was installing the new lines. I suppose I could have gotten an air bubble?
    I never dissconected the main oil line from the tank to the pump.
    I will let you all know what I find.
    Thanks,

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Sorry, All my ski's I've done any major work on are all Premix. How did John say to bleed them? Please share.

starter crank rpm is usually too low to prime oil pumps. I recommend putting about 3 gallons of premix fuel in the tank so you can run the engine. having the engine a little above idle will surely help prime the oil pump. also some skis have oil flow restricters in each oil line going to the carbs. if the factory lines had them make sure you put them back on your new lines.

+1

Suction.

John just had me bleed the main line thru the banjo bolt. I dont think it made any difference since I never had the main oil hose off. John also recommended running the motor and using fogging oil on the one cylinder without oil.
    BrentYamaha, The restrictor/ check valves are in the carbs on this ski.
    I had to hook my fuel lines up so I didnot have much time before it got dark. I had to run the motor about three times @ 20 seconds at a time to get oil up the hose. The last 1/2"(oil from top of hose) I hooked it to the restrictor/valve in the carb and it pushed the air then the oil into the carb.
    Its strange, both of the other oil hoses filled up just by cranking the motor over with the starter.
    The one trick I picked up using the search function. To prime the hose I bent down in the engine compartment and sucked on the hose, Man you gotta love your ski to do that
    I plan to dissconnect the oil hose from the mag and the hose from the Cen, put both hoses in seperate containers (spray can caps)(or something)
    and run the ski for about 20 seconds to measure the oil output from both hoses.
    I would think they should have the same output? Hopefully I can measure the amount that is pumped (comparison) and visual flow.
    Chime in with any experience.
    Thanks,
    Dave

No way We can talk you in to Premix?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    To prime the hose I bent down in the engine compartment and sucked on the hose, Man you gotta love your ski to do that
    There's a whole different website for that kinda stuff.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    No way We can talk you in to Premix?
    After the hose job I kinda feel commited to the pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    The one trick I picked up using the search function. To prime the hose I bent down in the engine compartment and sucked on the hose, Man you gotta love your ski to do that
    Dave,
    The safest thing is to use a hand vacuum pump like this guy: http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-b...kit-92474.html

I work in a lab and for years technicians (and scientists) would use their mouth to suck and blow out chemicals and media in graduated pipettes. Over the years there were enough people sickened, poisoned, and even killed from this practice that labs finally decided that only mechanical means should be used for this procedure.

Sucking up a little oil isn't going to kill you, but it's not good either. Spend the $30 for an inexpensive vacuum pump. You'll find it very handy for a lot of things.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Dave,
    The safest thing is to use a hand vacuum pump like this guy: http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-b...kit-92474.html

I work in a lab and for years technicians (and scientists) would use their mouth to suck and blow out chemicals and media in graduated pipettes. Over the years there were enough people sickened, poisoned, and even killed from this practice that labs finally decided that only mechanical means should be used for this procedure.
    Sucking up a little oil isn't going to kill you, but it's not good either. Spend the $30 for an inexpensive vacuum pump. You'll find it very handy for a lot of things.

KJ
    Sound advice for sure.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    That's what I was thinking,use a mitey vac for bleeding brakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information