Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Water in Engine 2011 RXTX 260 Is it doomed?

Ok, I currently have an RXTX 260 and have had problems- it was found to have fresh water in the engine! Apparently cracked intercooler. Dealer fixed it under warranty with new intercooler etc. Is my ski now doomed in the future because the engine has had water in it?

I bought it in 2011 (around march) and have put only 10 hours on it as of time of this post.

I'm thinking to upgrade it to the new rxPx 2012- that way I get a new ski for a little extra money after trading my ski...

And how the hell do you crack an intercooler!??

+1
    as long as they or you did several oil changes to get all the milky oil out of the engine and then rode it hard, you will be ok...

As far as a cracked I/C.....Does it cold enough to freeze down there?? Or it may have had a bad weld from the manufacturer???

Must have been a bad weld, the coldest it gets around these parts is about 16 Degrees C. The service guys drained out the oil... I still had heaps of is left in the bottom of my hull when I picked it up?! I guess they dont clean the mess, just make it... It was probably only one oil change - I cant see them spending more money if they didn't have to

+1
    Depends on how much water was in the oil...It may require 5 or 6 oil changes!!!! Start it and run it for a few seconds and then check the oil on the stick..If it is at all milky, change it!!!!!! And keep changing it till you have nothing but good clean oil....Remove the oil filter and dont put a new one in till you have clean oil otherwise your wasting money by putting a new one in everytime.

Once you have good clean oil, go and run it, hard....

As far as the I/C being bad....it could be a bad oil cooler too...Keep an eye on your oil when you ride....

Thanks or the info! Yesterday I had to take the ski back to the dealer because the leaky intercooler, was spraying water onto the throttle body, and caused a malfunction, I was pulling my hair out! But the dealer redeemed himself when he fixed it while I waited/watched and for no cost! Still, annoying though.. I'll have to get out on the water more often!

Cheers

Seadoo (Australia) may have a wider problem with the intercooler on the 2011 Rxtx-260, we now know that there are another 2 units that have the exact same problem with water leaking from the intercooler and traveling into the throttle body/intake putting cylinders out around the 6000 rpm range. one of the ski's had rusty plugs in cylinder 1, and sticky throttle body. Seadoo are only going to warranty the intercooler not the throttle body. (wonder what happens if it sticks open at WOT) and the wait for replacement is 1-2 months.
    Also have found a dealer that has replaced 2 intercoolers on the same ski and the second factory replacement has failed again.

has any one else had any problems with this?

Thanks

Hey SMF 23, The Sea Doo Dealer I use is pretty good, (Brisbane Jet Ski's at Zillmere, Qld) They warranted the intercooler, and changed the Throttle body straight away - he literally pulled off a throttle body from a display ski, and inserted it onto mine! As for it happening again - hasn't happened to me yet (hopefully it wont) but if it does I will be back to this forum to let you know, but Ive got a 2 year warranty with them so after that i'll probably trade it for a new ski anyway. I guess at the end of the day it depends on what you're dealer is like, if they want to be assholes they can be, it's all about finding a good dealer.

Yep, it happened again. Ski is now at 25 Hours and the intercooler failed again! Dealer replaced IC with new IC that had a drain hose on it- the ski would feel like it was cavetating but it was dropping revs too, sure enough, it was the IC. If you have a 2011 RXT 260 and have a stock intercooler I would change it ASAP. Because apparently when my IC was replaced the first time it was replaced by a IC that was from the same manufacture batch (the new ones now have a drain hose)

+1
    Wow.
    My 2010 rxtx 260 has 60 hrs and original ic.
    It must be something from Australia that's got a few bad ic.
    Good luck!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    The inter coolers are all cracking on 2011 and 2012 skis and seadoo are doing nothing
    To fix the problem . We have 4 2011 RXT X 260 amongst our group of friends with less than 30 hours and 3 of them
    Have cracked intercoolers . Water leaks into the engine causing loss of power. Eventually the oil goes milky
    And the engine fails .
    Seadoo have done nothing to fix this problem .
    The dealers reckon their is no bulletin on this problem from Seadoo.
    Does anyone have an answer for this intercooler problem .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information