Lightbulb 780 questions take a seat

1 I got the 780 top end kit for my ski today and i was reading the booklet that was in the kit and says nothing about rings going in a certin way so can you put sbt rings upside down on the piston and if so can it damage the jug?
    2 Can some one send pictures and help me out thank you for your help. i'm going to take the domes to the machine shop and get them to shave just a tad off them to rise compression just a bit and help there would be nise as well everyone is talking about a squish how do i know if this machine shop is going to put the squish back in the domes?
    3 Also was woundering if i would have to tune my carbs a little different now and if i do can any one help me do so. how do i put this head gaskets on the tab goes towards the exhaust i got that but what side goes up?
    4 Do i have to aline the motor and add shims with the motor i'm going to use? is it the same with every ski if so does any know what the shims normally are? or can i use the bare 650 case and mount it to the bed plate toss a bad crank in it and shim it up? for my hot rod 780
    5 Has any one have any luck painting the rub rails a different color mine are blue and i want them black any ideas they go better with my green and black paint job hate to have a blue stripe
    6 Do they make a water maniford that says 780 on it all the ones i've found say 650 or 750 and i would like a 780 water pipe if not i'll just use the 750 one?
    7 please send pictures theymake everything much more easyer to under stand lol thank you for all your help

so many questions so little time till summer.

a little but of everything
    750 hull
    750 case
    780 topend
    780 carbs
    780 extened pump if i can find one
    shaved domes and not running a oil pump it's blocked off 2 cycle stright

+1
    Usually the rings will be beveled on one side, that is the side that goes up, sometimes there will also be a marking or logo on the rings, if so thats usually the side that goes up, if you are using SBT rings just give them a call and ask them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by freemandino25 View Post
    4 Do i have to aline the motor and add shims with the motor i'm going to use? is it the same with every ski if so does any know what the shims normally are? or can i use the bare 650 case and mount it to the bed plate toss a bad crank in it and shim it up? for my hot rod 780
    I would definately do a motor alignment considering all of the different parts you are piecing together. The later models should have the number of factory shims written on the hull next to the motor mounts in marker. You can use this as a starting point, but will need to make final adjustments. I wouldn't align the motor until it is built, tested, and final installed, as even your torque sequence and minor side to side movement of the motor on the mounts can affect alignment. I just aligned one of my motors and it takes a little finesse, but when its right, it is obviously right and will ensure you don't experience premature spline wear.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by freemandino25 View Post
    6 Do they make a water maniford that says 780 on it all the ones i've found say 650 or 750 and i would like a 780 water pipe if not i'll just use the 750 one?
    I am pretty sure they got rid of the motor size when they went to the 780....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-POLARIS...item3a618156bf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-1997-Po...item45fdd85c73

The first 780 was the 95 SLX. After that, in 96, they stopped making the 650 and 750......

Thread Information