Ultra 150 cylinder gouge

Hey guys, picked up an 2001 Ultra 150 from a guy who really f'd some things up trying to "fix" it. When he was trying to seperate the head from the jug, with a screw driver, it went through and stabbed the cylinder wall. I would guess the pit is 1 mm deep. I've carefully filed off the sharp edges and smoothed it out. I really hate to to take it apart and go through the whole Nicasel money thing, all for this tiny pit. The cylinder was leaking water due to a bad head gasket. I paid nothing for the ski, so I have no money invested so far. I really want to put it back together and see what it does....any suggestions ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0280.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	265384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0283.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	265383  

It's questionable, I wouldn't run it. Replace that one cylinder with a good used one for peice of mind.

Yes it is, of all the people I've talked to, its a 60 - 40 split in favor of going with it. The direction I'm leaning now is to put it together and run a compression test....that may determine it too...

It won't hold good compression with a nick like that, I'm not even sure what it would do to the rings. I'm to anal about my repairs, I would just replace that one cylinder and never worry about it again. Do things once the first time. but I guess if you put it together and run a compression tests all your losing is a gasket and your time.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    It won't hold good compression with a nick like that, I'm not even sure what it would do to the rings. I'm to anal about my repairs, I would just replace that one cylinder and never worry about it again. Do things once the first time. but I guess if you put it together and run a compression tests all your losing is a gasket and your time.
    I agree, things would be different if I had paid good money for it.lol

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    did it go trhough the nikasil to the aluminum? that will spot will get extra hot. , I would def get it redone, you should too if you want it to last more than a couple hours. If you run it like it is b sure to let us know what happens. We like pictures.lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cejay825 View Post
    Hey guys, picked up an 2001 Ultra 150 from a guy who really f'd some things up trying to "fix" it. When he was trying to seperate the head from the jug, with a screw driver, it went through and stabbed the cylinder wall. I would guess the pit is 1 mm deep. I've carefully filed off the sharp edges and smoothed it out. I really hate to to take it apart and go through the whole Nicasel money thing, all for this tiny pit. The cylinder was leaking water due to a bad head gasket. I paid nothing for the ski, so I have no money invested so far. I really want to put it back together and see what it does....any suggestions ?

Looks like piston and cylinder are trash to be honest.

Thread Information