Unhappy Blown exhaust hose but no overheating?

Okay I need some advice. I went out today after work to do an hour or two of riding on my new to me 96 Wave Venture 700. Put it in the water and tied it off, parked the truck and idled through the no wake zone then slowly opened it up to about 40mph and eased off to cruise. As I rounded the corner into the bigger portion of Falls Lake it started to miss slightly at first then got progressively worse then suddenly the engine noise became a lot louder. I almost immediately knew what it was and slid back to pop the seat off and as I suspected, smoke poured out. I quickly turned around and started to head back. No matter what throttle position it was in, full of half, it would only do 20mph. As I went back around the corner to the cove it slowly lost power and held 5mph consistently, I assume limp mode, until I got back to the dock. I then found that the exhaust hose routing from the manifold to the waterbox had a big tear along the underside. It never once flashed the overheating light nor did any of the styrofoam in the rear or the bungees melt. I didn't pull the plugs yet to see what color they are but I'm sure they'll either be fouled or black. I did notice that not only was smoke coming from the rear of the engine where the tear is but also seemed like an equal amount was coming straight up from the front in between the case and the gas tank, is that just the smoke circulating in the engine bay? I will be ordering a new hose tonight along with plugs. I have tried finding a thread that describes exactly which hoses to pull off and confirm they are clear of sand and I found a vague description on how to pull apart the exhaust manifold. The U shaped hose connected to the waterbox seems clear as I squeezed it. Any suggestions or links to write-ups on where to start? It has 115 hours on it so I assume that hose got a small tear in it and the exhaust pressure just opened it up. Thanks for the help and sorry for the life story! lol

+1
    pull the exh. pipe (stinger end ) it has a inner and outer water jacket and injects water at exh. outlet to cool hoses I think you'll see sand or something stopping it

Sorry I'm a newbie at this, please explain what you mean by the stinger end? Are you referring to the exhaust manifold?

+1
    http://216.37.204.203/yamaha_OEM/Yam...pe=13&A=50&B=6
    see how item #38& 40 fit together that were problem is

Ah okay thanks! Would that be an issue even if it wasn't overheating? Or maybe the 3 minutes of limp mode wasn't long enough for it to get that hot

+1
    Maybe what you perceived as limp mode was the just the engine choking on it own exhaust. The hull fills up with exhaust the it gets sucked right back into the intake.
    So basically what happened is the water that is supposed to be injected down stream of the exhaust, didn't make it there. Something somewhere is clogged. And its probably where chip pointed out

Awesome. Parts ordered. Thanks fellas

I just split the exterior shell off the downpipe and your were right! Quite a bit of sand in there and with the small gap between the 2 I can see how it clogged and blew the hose. I pulled the hose off the front of the exhaust manifold and ran water through the passages and it seemed to be clear. So now I'm just patiently awaiting parts to come in and give it another shot! I think where I messed up was when at the dock in semi shallow water I gave it quite a bit of gas in reverse. My theory is that it kicked some sand off the bottom and sucked it right up. Oh well, lesson learned!

+1
    yep that'll do it. Best to keep the engine off when things get really shallow or just keep it near idle if needed

Thread Information