Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Do I need to drain oil to pull driveshaft?

I want to check my engine alignment but wanted to know if I need to drain / suck the oil out first?

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernoob View Post
    I want to check my engine alignment but wanted to know if I need to drain / suck the oil out first?

Thanks
    No. But it helps if you put the tongue of your trailer on the ground - so the bow is angled down.

+1
    Ah, nice tip, cheers.

+1
    just pulled mine, nothing came out

+1
    Was curious as I thought oil could leak from thr boot thing that sits over the drive shaft by the PTO housing. I guess this is only a problem when the engine's running?

Depends if you fill over the dipstick top bend.
    I pulled the engine out with oil in and no leaks.

Make sure the complete bearing ( boot thing ) stays intact.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernoob View Post
    Was curious as I thought oil could leak from thr boot thing that sits over the drive shaft by the PTO housing. I guess this is only a problem when the engine's running?
    No, you are right,oil can leak out the back of the PTO bearing/boot...Especially if the front of your ski is pointed upwards...BUT no, you do not need to drain the oil as a small amount if any will come out...IF you do leak out some oil make sure you recheck it when your done..

Does say in the manual to hold at 4000 for 10 sec to pump oil out of the PTO. But I cant bring myself to hold a dead cold engine at 4K! I just put the tongue on the ground as suggested and a rag under the PTO.

+1
    Thanks for posts. I've actually got two jobs to do in the drive shaft area. Firstly after taking the engine out last autumn (due to broken rear exhaust valve) I'd only used the ski once. Yesterday I extended my Riva intake to stop sea water and noticed quite a bit of oil in the bilge. Initially I thought it was just a little bit sitting on top of water, but after sticking finger in it I realised it was neat oil. So I need to diagnose and fix this (I think it's the drive shaft boot that was loose).

Secondly I want to check the engine alignment following the strip down and have ordered the tool from the US, but it won't be here until next week.

Ideally I wanted to diagnose and fix the oil leak this weekend and then do the engine alignment next weekend. But obviously I don't want to fix the oil leak this week, top the engine up with oil only for it to all come out again next week when I have to take the drive shaft out to do the alignment!

+1
    I've hit another problem! Anyone have any tips on getting the supercharger out easily? I've undone the bolts but it keeps hitting on the left exhaust baffles (the ones where the J pipe goes). Or have I got to take the pipes out of the baffles so I can move it out the way?

Also, is there any way of checking if the driveshaft PTO boot is oil tight, without running the engine (just don't want to have to put the air intake back on to find out it's still leaking)! I had to take the air intake out to get to the boot as I have a Riva intake which is rigid so the whole thing has to come out to get to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information