Ultra 150 crank replacement

Ok yesterday i bout an 03 ultra with a messed up motor....basket case. the first cylinder was off and the carb and the manifolds. I took the engine out. when i pull on the rod it moves about 3mm the crank bearing is bad. I need a new crank and most likely a cylinder the head looks ok too. would you guys recomend i do a total top end rebuild while its apart? I was just going to buy a crank a cylinder and a piston and have someone put it together. I dont think i want to put it together is it very difficult or does the shop manual explain pretty well....whats your advise for me thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetags View Post
    Ok yesterday i bout an 03 ultra with a messed up motor....basket case. the first cylinder was off and the carb and the manifolds. I took the engine out. when i pull on the rod it moves about 3mm the crank bearing is bad. I need a new crank and most likely a cylinder the head looks ok too. would you guys recomend i do a total top end rebuild while its apart? I was just going to buy a crank a cylinder and a piston and have someone put it together. I dont think i want to put it together is it very difficult or does the shop manual explain pretty well....whats your advise for me thanks.

Where are you located? I have a crankcase with crank that is used but nothing wrong with it. I changed it out thinking when i went to a 1350 BB kits and welded crank. If your anywhere near detroit mi you can have it. but i won't ship it.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetags View Post
    Arre you in jersey? I was on the way to pick up an 03 with the same problems on friday and had to turn around, probly the same one. It had over 150 hours on it. Id say due for a top end.

yeah im in jersey, I called him friday and he said there was a guy coming and if he wasnt gonna come he would call me, he called and said you werent going so i picked it up ended up getting it for 550. I wish he didnt leave the engine all apart though.

splishsplash i wish you were closer man id snag that off your hands, if you are interested in selling it i would buy it if youre willing to ship it.

Stevetags..I would just rebuild. If the cases are good, clean them up, find a used (low hour ) crank or get a rebuilt one from SBT and do it yourself.The manual is easy to understand..just be thorough! Find a used jug in good useable condition or get a core and send it to U.S. Chrome and have it re-nikalsiled..about $200 each...OEM top end that way you can't go wrong, plus it gives you no problems!

+1
    By all means, if you rebuild one cylinder, I think you should do all three. They typically need a top at 200 hours or so.

Nows the time,the engine is already apart,it sucks to do things twice!

should replace all gaskets as well top deck and bottom.

I'm a living organ donor; 1 kidney since 2002. Mitch 05 Ultra 150's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Where are you located? I have a crankcase with crank that is used but nothing wrong with it. I changed it out thinking when i went to a 1350 BB kits and welded crank. If your anywhere near detroit mi you can have it. but i won't ship it.
    Sent PM.

Thread Information